First attempt with Honeycomb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from upstatepano

upstatepano

My first attempt at turning an Aluminum honeycomb blank made with Alumilite. Used the Nouveau Sceptre hardware.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 442
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 455
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I like that profile for a change and you've achieved a great finish. Was the blank bought or made by you?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

upstatepano

I like that profile for a change and you've achieved a great finish. Was the blank bought or made by you?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I made the blank. It's the first one I made and was trying to figure out how to cut the honeycomb. I tried the band saw and table saw and of course that was a disaster, it just crushed the honeycomb. About the only way to cut the Aluminum honeycomb is with a diamond blade. I'm going to get a wet saw with a diamond blade. That should give me a smooth cut without worrying about the heat build up.

upstatepano

Source for Aluminum honeycomb

Looks absolutely great!

Where do you get your aluminum honeycomb?
I purchased mine on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/253411779417?ViewItem=&item=253411779417
They have many different sizes but I went with the smaller opening of 1/8". They have individual pieces just the right size for the pen molds on the market. They are about $9 with shipping each but you can get at least 20 blanks out of the 10" x 10" block for about $34 including shipping. So huge savings on the blocks.
As I stated above the best way to cut the block is with a diamond blade. I picked up an inexpensive wet saw at Lowe's today, 7" Skill. You should get a clean smooth cut without crushing the honeycomb. I learned from my mistake. I have one of the Harbor Freight Mighty Mite 4" saw with the diamond blade and it worked okay but the 4" blade will not cut all the way through the 1" block of Honeycomb.

mrtille

Great Looking Pen

That is really nice work with the honeycomb! I will put up something I did for Fat Tuesday tonite :)

Dieseldoc

Cutting honey comb into blanks before casting. What have done is use blue painters tape over where i want to cut top and bottom of the blank before cutting to size on my band saw. i use a 1/4 width 10 TPI regular blade which make a very clean cut.
After casting i will use the same blade to cut to size before drill blank for tube..
Charlie

OZturner

Great Pen Jerry,
Fantastic Cast Aluminium Honey Comb Blank,
Congratulations, on your First Casting, Well Done.
Excellent Turning, and Finishing.
Love the Appearance of the Honey Comb.
Brian.

Top Bottom