First attempt at double dye stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

My first try and I'm VERY happy!!! :biggrin:

I had a few pieces of Black Ash Burl that could benefit from stabilizing so I thought why not add a touch of color. So I added some dye to my cactus juice and here are the results. I did the dying in two stages. First in orange then in blue. I did cure between colors. Then a final run in clear juice since I didn't leave them under vacuum very long in the dying process.

I put this on a Chrome Atrax and did my flame finish on the CA. That way you can really see the wood. The pen is supposed to go out on consignment but I just might have to hang on to it for a while. I was only able to get a few pics before my battery died.

DSC03119 (646x700).jpg DSC03122 (645x700).jpg DSC03123 (700x653).jpg DSC03124 (547x700).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Really nice!! I don't see blue but the grain really looks nice on this one.

What is Flame CA finish? This is the first I have heard of it.

Edit: Forget the question. I used the search function. :) Really interesting process. It looks really good!

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't like the Atrax kit but you made a great job with the rest of it.

But YOU doing wood???:eek: Isn't that like Iron Maiden singing Country and Western???:biggrin:

Brooks803

Looks like your getting the flame finish process dialed in. It looks awesome!

Thanks Mark. Yeah I've been playing with the process a lot lately. I do think I've got it down now to where I don't screw up and blister the finish anymore.

Wow looks nice Jonathon! Starting to play a little more with wood huh? I like the dye coloring, add that nice subtle touch. Good job.

Thanks! Yeah I needed a bit more diversity with the consignment pens I was sending out. I was hoping the colors wouldn't be to in your face so I'm really happy with how subtle they are.

Really nice!! I don't see blue but the grain really looks nice on this one.

What is Flame CA finish? This is the first I have heard of it.

Edit: Forget the question. I used the search function. :) Really interesting process. It looks really good!

Thanks Ron! If you can see the orange...the blue is immediately next to it. Might look black on your screen. It's subtle but you can really see it in hand. Glad you saw the flame finish info. I'm planning on shooting a short video of it soon. I already did one but blistered the finish pretty bad so I didn't want to use it.

I don't like the Atrax kit but you made a great job with the rest of it.

But YOU doing wood???:eek: Isn't that like Iron Maiden singing Country and Western???:biggrin:

LOL...good one Skip. But I'd rather hear the country singers do Iron Maiden! Don't look for me to do a complete switch, but now that I'm using colors (since that's my thing :cool:) I'll probably turn a bit more wood to see how the colors come out.

Thanks Everyone for the kind words! Keep an eye out for more dyed pens in the future.

Top Bottom