First attempt at decal pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Matt8643

Matt8643

This is a Patrizio pen done in a desert camo acrylic blank. Its for a friend who is in the Air Force. I will just say that the whole decal pen thing was about 1000% harder than I thought it would be! LOL! My paper was from Papilio and I also used their fixative spray to seal the ink on the decals.

I will just say it took a long time for me to format the decal properly. Finally I used Powerpoint like many have advised in the threads and the formatted decal finally printed perfect. Then after spraying the decals and then trying to apply them a few hours later, the ink ran everywhere. I learned through trial and error that the Papilio fixative needed to be sprayed on twice because one coat wasnt enough. Then the hardest part was afixing the decal to the pen! I went through about 15 decals before getting it right (or so I thought).

Overall, I'm happy with it for a first attempt. There are a few bright spots above the chevrons and below the name that must be air bubbles under the decal. I didnt see them when the decal was wet but I do see them in the correct light now. What is the best way to get rid of the air bubbles?

All comments are welcome.
~Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2000a.jpg
    IMG_2000a.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2000b.jpg
    IMG_2000b.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Overall a very good first try at decal. Obviously you learned a bunch with this one that you can take with you to all the next ones you do. The only way I know to rid the spot under the decal is to sand the decal off and refinish. I know, bad answer. Hopefully one of the experts will give you a happier answer.
Charles

wiset1

This is a sweet looking pen! TSgt Cruz should truly enjoy it and that's worth it between friends. I've been working on the idea of casting the ranks worn on our uniforms to add that 3d look. You can get these at any clothing and sales on base/post and may do away with the need for decals. Anyway...really nice looking pen!

G1Pens

Matt, I have applied decals to model cars and plane for many many years. Applying to a pen is not any different. In fact it is normally a lot easier because the pen is smooth. After soaking the decal in water, I slide it onto the pen. I gently move it into the position that I want and then using a small paintbrush. I "paint" the decal onto the pen. Strart in the middle and work your way out to the edge. Keep the bush moist but not dripping wet and don't apply too much pressure. Take your time and it is very easy to work the air bubbles completely out of the decal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom