first attempt at a closed-end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sumterdad

sumterdad

Ok so call me ambitious but i have had this desire to try going the next level or at least part of the way there. I know I only started turning in sep. but I will never get anywhere with this if I dont shoot high.

Well this is part of an atrax kit. I do not have the correct tools to do this but I believe that if I would have had a longer blank I could have pulled this off. I put the blanks on just as I would normally do with the bushings, except I did not put on the end bushing and just put the live center up to it. after it was turned is when I realized I should have used a longer blank was when I tried to put the ink in it and it would not screw together.

So I know it is not perfect, so I hope you do not expect it to be. :biggrin: It is a first attempt and I am sure now it will not be my last. I just need to get the right tools to do it. Whatever they may be. Oh and I am sorry about the pics

Attachments

• 100_1181.jpg
    100_1181.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_1184.jpg
    100_1184.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_1185.jpg
    100_1185.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Get with Rick Herrell here on the IAP. He can set you up with a pin chuck to assist with doing closed end pens. Just got mine the other day and they are quality.

For a first go I would say...not bad for ambition, but the shape and color really look off. I know you want to hear...beautiful pen, but I'm sure you want to grow and advance so here's my two cents. I would look at other turners who do this type of pen like (Brian Kort) and have a look at the shape of the lower barrel. I think with a little more time the execution and shape will become more pleasing to the flow of the pen visually.

How does it feel when you hold it? Is there a balanced feel to it or is a bit heavy on the back end? Keep it up...you're on your way! Each turn will teach you something different so drive on and style another one and see where you're at.

its_virgil

Good for you trying something new and challenging. Actually, your first attempt is better than mine....
No special tooling is needed. Take a look at the closed end pen articles on my website at http://www.RedRiverpens.com/articles There arel more in the library here. Keep up the good work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ok so call me ambitious but i have had this desire to try going the next level or at least part of the way there. I know I only started turning in sep. but I will never get anywhere with this if I dont shoot high.

Well this is part of an atrax kit. I do not have the correct tools to do this but I believe that if I would have had a longer blank I could have pulled this off. I put the blanks on just as I would normally do with the bushings, except I did not put on the end bushing and just put the live center up to it. after it was turned is when I realized I should have used a longer blank was when I tried to put the ink in it and it would not screw together.

So I know it is not perfect, so I hope you do not expect it to be. :biggrin: It is a first attempt and I am sure now it will not be my last. I just need to get the right tools to do it. Whatever they may be. Oh and I am sorry about the pics

drgoretex

Awesome first go! Looking good - and an excellent step in the kitless direction.

If I could offer one suggestion, and take it as personal taste only, try a taper toward the tail end of the pen. Very cool.

Looking forward to more!

Ken

sumterdad

I know the shape of it is not that well done. I plan on putting it back on the lathe tomorrow and fix some of my boo boo's. and believe me I would rather someone say something that will help me rather than me think everything is good to go. Thanks for all the input.

SDB777

If I'm reading the original post(#1) correctly, the ink stick(rollerball I'm guessing) won't fit due to the overall length of the blank?

I've been making some closed ends recently using the standard 5-1/4" blanks and some of them seem a bit long to me(but I ain't the one buying-and everyone else is liking the length so I'll live with it).

I read the tutorials and still decided to give the pin chuck method the "A.O.K.".....but looking at yours maybe I was to quick to go the gadget route. Did you encounter any massive problems?

The shape will come to you, excess material on the lower has nothing to 'match-up with' on the upper piece and looks somewhat out of place(but you never know someone just down your street is probably looking for a pen just like this one).

Scott (it's an addiction...sorry) B

sumterdad

I did not run into any major problems. I just had to keep tightening the tail stock to keep pressure on the blank. Other than that it went pretty smoothly

Knucklefish

Listen, I have made many of these and my first few trys weren't as good as yours. Keep tuning and you'll discover a shape that pleases you. Once found, it gets much easier everytime you make another one. I also recommend Ric's pin chucks, they are geally well made.

seamus7227

LOL, Chris my first try looks similar to that, in that the lower barrel doesnt have much length. The only difference was that i have a closed end pen mandrel for the Navigator/Baron/Sedona and the pen i was making was a Jr Gent II. With a little ingenuity i was able to make it work though. Nice first try!

hewunch

Chris you did great with your first try! Is there a fountain pen version of this kit? If so, you could swap it in. Surely the barrel is long enough for the ink cartridge.

Top Bottom