First attempt at a closed end.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snorton20

Snorton20

This is my first attempt at a closed end pen. Had no issues to speak of. The wood is Black Cherry Burl from Jason A.K.A (Marionquill). I would like to thank him for the piece. The finish on the pen is 4 coats of spray on Minwax Lacquer. C&C welcome and encouraged please.
Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• 100_5857.jpg
    100_5857.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Bit on the chunky side for me, but the closed end looks good, Nice wood as well, Slimlines offer so many possibilities, besides they are cheap and fun.

Skye

I'd also suggest that (while it looks good from here) you may want to try a finish other than spray lacquer. At the very least you'll probably want to run the lacquered pen through some sanding or you can try the lacquer dip technique. Just something to think about. If you're good enough to delve into closed end pens then you're not going to want to shoot yourself in the foot with a sub-par finish.

Snorton20

Thanks for the positives. And the other ones too. ;-) I still have not mastered the CA finish so this one got a spray finish. Oh well it's a personal pen so as long as it make me happy that's all that matters. Thanks guys for the C&C, Joe

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Skye, without starting a "finish war", I'm curious to know why you consider spray lacquer a sub-par finish. Thanks.

I am curious as well. Spray lacquer is what I use on my higher end pens. True it is not an easy finish to do well, but it can deliver amazing results. Eagle used spray lacquer (Deft) on his incredible pens and once told me that lacquer allowed him to look into the soul of the wood.

Joe, I think it is a fine effort. You are already exploring the possibilities of the slimline and that is commendable. As has been posted, I don't personally care for the size of the lower barrel, but it is a beautiful pen with a nice finish.

OKLAHOMAN

Skye, count me as another Deft spray user on my high end wood pens IMHO done right its as good if not better than any other finish. Joe while I agree on the shape with the others keep experimenting and nice finish.
I am curious as well. Spray lacquer is what I use on my higher end pens. True it is not an easy finish to do well, but it can deliver amazing results. Eagle used spray lacquer (Deft) on his incredible pens and once told me that lacquer allowed him to look into the soul of the wood.

Joe, I think it is a fine effort. You are already exploring the possibilities of the slimline and that is commendable. As has been posted, I don't personally care for the size of the lower barrel, but it is a beautiful pen with a nice finish.

Snorton20

Thanks Guys, I know a lot are not fond of the shape and that's o.k. with me. I find when making a pen for myself I turn them a bit big because I like the feel and it does not hurt my one finger when writing for prolonged periods of time such as with slimmer pens. This was the first attempt and so far so good.

As far as the finish, I think that Skye might have been implying that Minwax brand might not be a good quality brand. Deft I heard is better but this is what I had so I used it. The great thing is to fix this, if for some reason the finish fails, I can always put it back on the lathe and re due it. Perk to making pens yourself :)

marionquill

I've not seen a closed end slimline before, looks interesting! I like the maple burl with gun metal plating on the kit, goes well together! Keep experimenting! Oh, the finish looks fine from here as does the photography and background choice!
Good job!

Jason

Top Bottom