First Attempt: Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cmiles1985

Cmiles1985

As the title says, this is my first attempt at a Celtic Knot. The blank is mahogany, the knot is a thin slice of "crushed turquoise" acrylic acetate with strips of soda can outlining the acrylic. The kit is a 24kt Eclipse from WoodTurningz.
The photos aren't top notch by any means. All other C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great work on that double Celtic knot !!! Amazing how you cut that thin slice of acrylic and sandwiched it between the aluminum sheets. I am going to have to try my hand at something similar.

magpens

I wouldn't say *WAY* too thin. I think it looks really good. It is nicely proportioned with respect to the clip. Better on the thin side rather than too thick, IMHO !

BTW, is there a tutorial in the Library about making Celtic knots ?

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

Oh, I was referring to a strip I cut for the next blank. Actually, I've turned it into a design opportunity by cutting another strip too thin :)

That strip closer to the bottom is about half the width of the size I needed.

I believe there is a tutorial in the library. I actually saw a YouTube video that made it all make perfect sense. Making a jig for my bandsaw was probably the hardest part.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

A couple things. First is could you please size the photos down about half the size. Man they are way too big. It makes looking at the pen hard to do because you have to scroll it. :)

Second thing if that is done on the bandsaw are you making mutiple cuts to get the width???? seems wider than a bandsaw blade width. Are you cutting all the way through the blank or stopping just short??? Do you have a tablesaw?? If so you would get a more accurate cut with a tablesaw than a bandsaw. Thanks for showing.

Cmiles1985

A couple things. First is could you please size the photos down about half the size. Man they are way too big. It makes looking at the pen hard to do because you have to scroll it. :)

Second thing if that is done on the bandsaw are you making mutiple cuts to get the width???? seems wider than a bandsaw blade width. Are you cutting all the way through the blank or stopping just short??? Do you have a tablesaw?? If so you would get a more accurate cut with a tablesaw than a bandsaw. Thanks for showing.

I'll see if I can shrink them a bit. Since I used my phone, I use Photobucket for getting the pictures on to the forum.

As for cutting, it's all on the bandsaw. One pass, not going all the way through the blank. I do have a table saw, but it's actually a "job site" saw that is on my back porch, and is not exactly easy to use for precision cuts due to leveling, oxidized table, etc.. I'll be moving into a new shop soon, which means new table saw (and more jigs). I don't know that the kerf is wide, I think it's just that te picture is big :biggrin:

jttheclockman

I'll see if I can shrink them a bit. Since I used my phone, I use Photobucket for getting the pictures on to the forum.

As for cutting, it's all on the bandsaw. One pass, not going all the way through the blank. I do have a table saw, but it's actually a "job site" saw that is on my back porch, and is not exactly easy to use for precision cuts due to leveling, oxidized table, etc.. I'll be moving into a new shop soon, which means new table saw (and more jigs). I don't know that the kerf is wide, I think it's just that te picture is big :biggrin:

To be able to use 2 pieces of aluminum and a piece of acrylic within the bandsaw blade cut is a miracle to me. That is less that 1/16" thick. It must be the photos.

If you are using Photobucket, they have a resizing thing right there for you. I am glad you are able to use the bandsaw. Good luck.

By the way, one way to tell if the knot is halfway decent is if the top and bottom pie shaped pieces, and the right and left pieces equal, are of equal value. In the first photo you can see the top is smaller than the bottom. So it is a good start and some work is needed. So many effects can be had with that simple design. Tighten things up and play around with it. You are on the right path.

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I managed to drill off center. The knot was made correctly, it was just my drilling :) it's very noticeable with the photos that size. As for the width, the bands are .057" wide.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Top Bottom