First attempt at casting and turning PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from armyturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

I recently cast my first PR blanks and had the chance to turn my first "plastic" last night with the guidance from fellow member Smoky10. Tom turned one (red & blue slimline) while I watched, then I took my turn (green & purple cigar). When we drilled the green and purple we could see that it was way too clear, but since it was my first I turned it anyway. Of the very few pens that I have turned the fit on this one is by far the best so far. The pics are not the best, but neither is my camera.

2006111173035_misc%20002.jpg

We colored the tube but the CA did its usual crazy thing resulting it a mottled appearance.

2006111173054_misc%20005.jpg

The red was not quite dark enough and the brass can be seen near the centerband.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Jeremy, can you lighten the pics? It's tough to see the pens, especially the first one. From what I can see, it looks like you did a good job with both the casting and the turning. Now Tom's turning, well, that's another story... [:D]

Skye

rrrrr.jpg

I'm not digging that one, but the red and blue look nice together.

sssss.jpg

Of course, this may not be accurate now...

wags54

If Skye did get the collors duplicated at all close I have to agree the 1st one would not be one I would want but I like the red and blue one. But don't take my word for anything I have turned what I thought were some really bad colors and they were the first to sell and get the oh wow comments. I still have some pens I think are really nice and they have not sold yet. LOL As far as the tube showing I have sold several pens that you could see the tubes and the customer liked it for that reason they really liked it that way. So who knows---If they like it thay buy it ---it's that simple I think and who cares what I think LOL I'll make them ugly if they sell LOL

Skye

Yeah, funny thing about the tube is, the customers dont realize it's the tube. We see the tube as a nasty item that has to be hidden. They, on the other hand, dont even realize it's there, so if it shows through in an occasional PR pen, they sometimes like it. Go figure! [:p]

smoky10

It was nice to have Jeremy come by and turn a couple of pens and just socialize. We socialized about a bunch of you. [:D] His castings had some good colors but some were a little transparent, the black you see in the first pen was where I colored the tube with a magic marker then used Ca glue. [:(] When turning his blanks there was ribbons flying from all colors except red, it seemed brittle. If he used the same amount of color and the same amount of hardener, what would cause the red to be brittle?

Jim, did you notice how I just ignored your comment? [:eek:)]I don't have to reply to a comment like that, I can just let it go. [:D][}:)] I really can. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom