First attempt with burning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wraith

Wraith

I have wanted to try burning something on a pen, so I did and here it is. C&C welcome. Wood is Yellow Heart ND IS on A Wall Street II.

Thank you for looking.

Brian

Attachments

• Dragonfly.jpg
    Dragonfly.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Dragonfly_2.jpg
    Dragonfly_2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Brian; Very nice steady hand. The only thing I could suggest, would be to add a little colored stain or dye the the leaves and dragon fly before the final finish is applied. Use a transparent product so as to not cover the grain. Jim S

fernhills

Very nice. I am very interested in trying to do stuff like that. In the last couple of months i have acquired a wood burner and about 4 pens. I have been experimenting with burning and coloring, found a few things about coloring but have not moved onto it yet.
How did you apply the finish ? Did the burn cause you any problems. ? Your pen looks very nice. Thanks for sharing. Carl

Wraith

Jim, I debated doing that. I have several water based dyes and colors from my leather working stuff I could use. I wasn't sure if it would try to bleed out or not.

Brian

Wraith

Carl, the finish I used on this one was Crystal Wax.

Burning was fairly simple. I drew the pattern on a piece of paper measured to wrap around the pen. Then I taped the paper around the pen and used a sharp leather punch to make small holes along the pattern. After that I removed the paper put on my glasses so I could see the holes :) and burned the pattern. The trickiest part is when burning along the pattern when it follows the pith and trying to turn out of it. The fine tip of the burner tried to stay in the pithpath. I am sure different woods will have different issues.

Brian

Top Bottom