First attempt at adding bands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Made this over the last few days. Thanks to Charles (dalecamino) for the tutorial which gave me the confidence to give it a go. A bit scary as the stock was only 16mm and my cap threads are 13mm. The Ebonite is the stuff from Pakistan which is not that great. The black is especially bad. Binned the first one due to pits in the surface. The second has them also and was going to fill them, but then decided it adds to the vintage look of the pen....that's my excuse anyway :tongue: see the last pic.
The bands were made from 0.7mm sheet sterling silver, formed and silver soldered.
The nib is a 14k Pelikan unit that is marked as fine, but I think writes more like a European medium. Filling mechanism is button filler.
I really must do something about the clips now because chrome really looks naff alongside the silver.
C&C's welcome.

IMG_0634.JPGIMG_0635.JPGIMG_0636.JPGIMG_0637.JPGIMG_0638.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks great John.:)
Why not send a bunch of clips to that nutty professor in Blackpool and ask him to silver plate them for you, for a fee?:biggrin:

Robert111

Well done John! I like the design very much. I've been thinking about something similar (honest!:angel:).

I was startled to see how different the chrome looks from the silver on your pen. Doesn't look that way on mine (see the red Mb style I posted yesterday). I'd looked critically at that particular thing and satisfied myself that it wasn't an issue. Hmmm . . .

Texatdurango

John, You made a beautiful pen there, makes me to not want to show any of mine anymore!

From the finial treatment to the section and threading to the nice spacing of the silver and overall shape of the pen ..... NICE!

Twissy

Thank you guys for all the kind words!

Well done John! I like the design very much. I've been thinking about something similar (honest!:angel:).

I was startled to see how different the chrome looks from the silver on your pen. Doesn't look that way on mine (see the red Mb style I posted yesterday). I'd looked critically at that particular thing and satisfied myself that it wasn't an issue. Hmmm . . .

I had already noticed on your pens Robert that there wasn't much difference between the chrome and the silver. Do you solder your bands? I was wondering if the heat is making any difference.
Rhodium or platinum plated clips are a much closer match to the sterling silver, but I don't have anything to hand that would suffice.

John, You made a beautiful pen there, makes me to not want to show any of mine anymore!

From the finial treatment to the section and threading to the nice spacing of the silver and overall shape of the pen ..... NICE!

Thank you George! I hope you do show some more pens...and soon! It was seeing pictures of yours and other members custom pens that inspired me to go down this road, as I'm sure it did others too!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
John, you did an amazing job with this pen. It looks like YOU could have written that tutorial. AND, this is why we find it on the front page :biggrin: Well done.

Sawdust46

Beautiful pen! I like the bands! I would like to know more about how you worked with the silver to make the bands. I'm also trying to think of the best method for making sterling clips since they would have to have some base metal for strength. Would appreciate ant info you would like to share.
Great job on the pen and the photos.

drgoretex

Man, that is really just amazing. You have really perfected the addition of cap bands, and it sets the pen off beautifully.

Ken

Top Bottom