First attempt at Acrylic.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nytefaii

nytefaii

OK, so I am new to pen turning in general. I have made 5 wood pens, and this is my first acrylic pen.

The blank is an alumilite casting from Charlie.
The kit is a cigar kit from Berea.

Please give any feedback, as I am still learning.

I did make a mistake and have the tubes on the mandrel backwards, so after pulling the tubes off to assemble the pen, I had to put them back on to touch-up the edges for the correct bushing sizes. Regardless, I still need practice on getting the bushing edges turned correctly.

I am however happy with the finish.

I wet sanded with MM, and used some scratch remover and Plast-X polish.

I still turn with a bowl gouge as I haven't learned to turn with a skew yet, so I'm a little slow at turning still.

It is also is a tad OOR, but I'm not sure why? It was a brand new B size mandrel from Berea with their bushings for their kit. I had never had an OOR slimline from the A Mandrel I previously had.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but the finish looks good! I'm not a fan of the "pregnant guppy" look, I like the lines that the kit provides, but that's entirely personal taste.

Like me, you need to work on your pics. There's a lot of info here on photography, although I haven't made a breakthrough in that regard yet.

I really like the "molten metal" type blanks, though. Pretty!

Dale

nava1uni

The OOR might be due to having the brass nut too tight and it flexes the mandrel. You should shoot your picture in daylight against a gray background for a better picture. The pen looks good, but if you made it a bit thinner throughout it would have a better balance.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
You're off to a good start! The finish looks good from what I can see.
A bit thick for my taste, but some love a thicker pen, too so it depends
on who you make it for. Like you, I use the MM and PlastX, I like the
finish it gives me. And I still can't use a skew!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I personally don't like the "fat" look. But, I MAKE some. Arthritis sufferers can't clench very well, they will appreciate the "beef" of your pen.

Good start, keep moving up!!

nytefaii

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions so far. The next day off I have, I will turn another one and try to shape it to the bushing sizes. I plan on turning one of the dragons breath blanks from Charlie, but I didnt want to make that my first one and waste it, lol. :redface:

I will also work on taking some photos outside to get some better light and less glare, maybe that would help.

Thanks again,
Chris

Top Bottom