First attempt at this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wood Butcher

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I've been watching and thinking I wanted to try this for about a year and finally had the time and nerve to go at it. I had an Apollo Infinity kit I messed up and had to damaged the larger tube so, rather than pitch it I found a use. I used stabilized maple burl and a scrap for the ask end. I'm rather pleased with my first attempt and want to do it more so today I went to WoodTurningz and got some exhibition grade maple burl and some buckeye burl to try to improve the guality and speed (this one took probably 5 or 6 hours). Pics were quickies with the phone better one will be taken soon. C&C welcome.
WB

Attachments

• Realistic cigar 1.jpg
    Realistic cigar 1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Realistic cigar 2.jpg
    Realistic cigar 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rodnall

Looks very nice for a first attempt. I want to make a few for when my daughter has her baby. Not going to attempt the ash, and trying to find a subtle way to say "it's a girl" on it. Maybe make a band that says it.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
There is no library article that I could find but if you have made pens for a while it's pretty easy to figure it out. This one took 6 hours plus if you count, drilling the incorrect size hole, picking up the pieces of pen blank that broke when I threw it across the shop, drilling a second blank and finding out the ash end was too short and then gluing on a piece of other species to "carve" the ash into. Then there was the figuring out how to turn down the kit parts that wouldn't fit and still allow the parts to come together tightly. Sanding and resanding to get the two pieces to fit tightly AFTER the CA finish was applied (usually I would figure that out after gluing both pieces to one another so I am learning). Then the burning-drilling-gouging-sanding-painting of the ash. I learned that the ash needs to be buckeye burl NOT stabilized. I used what I had in the scrap bin and it was stabilized and not buckeye so that required the painting and made the other texturing work 20 time more difficult. I'm ready to start a second one after I lay in bed awake till early morning rehashing and plotting the moves and processes I will change and use on this one. Obsession? No, it's much more important than that. If I had a video camera I would record the process and post it but it would have to be without sound because of the blue frustration speak that erupts occasionally. Maybe I can find a chapter member from Indy who would do the recording for me but only after I have made a few more and am able to do it and not throw out my shoulder flinging broken or messed up parts around the shop.
WB

Top Bottom