First antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

I made my first pen using antler for the barrel. It was interesting and I'm happy with it. Not sure if it is from a mule deer or whitetail.

The pen kit is one of the new Arrows in Platinum and Gunmetal from Classic Nib.

I suppose the good thing about it is that it sold almost immediately. The odor reminds me of Knox Gelatin..which makes sense. It's tolerable.

I will be wearing a respirator in the future because of the issue with bacteria.

Sanding with micro mesh to 12000 and polished and buffed.

Jim

Attachments

• antler.jpg
    antler.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN6408.jpg
    DSCN6408.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

booney0717

Well done. So far i've only worked with antler twice. So far i really like it. when i finished mine i mm to 12000 then a couple coats of ca and mm to 12000 again. My reason for the ca is the antler seems to be alittle pourous and i thought that mabey the ca might keep dirt and oils from mabey staining the antler after a while. I dont know if that would be the case or not but it still looked good. Any how i will shut up now. Love the pen

ALA

Job well done! I've started my first antler as well (bullet). Looking forward to completing it

keithbyrd

Very nice pen!
I usually CA just to seal any pores that may be open. I love the way antler turns and polishes - could have a better odor but it is tolerable!

jjjaworski

I did turn a Jr Gent Fountain Pen last night with elk antler barrels.

A big difference because of the porous nature of the larger sections.

I did sneak up on the finish size and then fill and seal with CA .

I put 10 coats of CA as a finish and did the micro mesh thing, polish and buff.

Attachments

• JrGent Elk 1c.jpg
    JrGent Elk 1c.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 103
  • JrGent Elk 1a.jpg
    JrGent Elk 1a.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 107

seamus7227

very well done! was the sierra pen(first posted pic) from a relatively fresh set of antlers? the reason i ask is because of the pinkish tones in it. they are very light to see, but it has that appearance. My first pen made from antler was off of a fresh set and has similar tones and i really loved it!

jjjaworski

very well done! was the sierra pen(first posted pic) from a relatively fresh set of antlers? the reason i ask is because of the pinkish tones in it. they are very light to see, but it has that appearance. My first pen made from antler was off of a fresh set and has similar tones and i really loved it!

I have no way of knowing the age of the antler I used on the Sierra( Arrow ) pen. It does have some nice coloring and was mostly solid compared to the elk.

I got the antler as part of a trade with an IAP member. All I know is that it was from antler that he had from various sources.

It's wierd, I got his trade within a week and I just sent him a PM to see if his package had arrived. Shipping to Canada is such a crap shoot.

Jim

Top Bottom