First Aluminum Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

So, I have had some 5150 Aluminum around the shop for several years. Never had the never to turn it. Last night, I did. I am pleased with the results. But a metal lathe is in my future I believe, and that will be better ... I think. Comments welcome. I will do a grip/nib for this pen some day, but I had one I bought from Elliot Landes and it worked so, I figured the nib can wait for another day.

Attachments

• aluminumkitless3.jpg
    aluminumkitless3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 267
  • aluminumkitlessopen2.jpg
    aluminumkitlessopen2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Your pen looks good!

A metal lathe does may things well but making freeform curves isn't one of them. So while you would get lots out of a metal lathe, you'll be going back to your wood lathe for shaping those curves.

wiset1

Now that is SLICK! I love the idea of these pens and how they turn out. Awesome!

wizard

Hans, That is a beautiful pen!! I like the way you shaped this pen. Can you could do a taper on a metal lathe? Makes me want to go buy a piece of aluminum! Regards, Doc:)

fiferb

This pen is a fantastic piece of work. I was fortunate to see it in person yesterday, the workmanship is superb and the pen is as light as a feather.

hewunch

Thanks to the kind words from the rest of you. Doc, not sure about the metal lathe. When I get one, and figure it out, I will let you know.

Brooks803

Geez Hans...been busy? :tongue: Looks like I'm gonna need to get in the shop later day if I'm gonna keep up with you! Looks great btw! I've got sevearl aluminum rods of 6061 I can bring to the next meeting if ya want:wink:

Top Bottom