First Aluminum Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pop1948

Status
Not open for further replies.

pop1948

Whew!!!!!!
I made a turning tool from HSS key stock steel a small piece about 1/2"X 1/2" it works fair but takes on small bits.So it took me about 3 hrs to turn this pen. I hope to get some cheeper tool from HF to do just these pens, It was a blast and I hope you all like it. PLEASE sent me any help that it might need to make this go faster or easier. Oh yea had a hard time centeritng the round stock. But experience will help. Polished by hand had no buffing wheels, Also thanks to James Mann for the information and insperation :)

200711115523_aluminum%20rod.jpg

2007111151012_aluminum%20copy.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

If you're using 6061 aluminum I would use my regular turning tools and keep them sharp. I drill mine on the lathe using my Talon chuck with spigot jaws and a Jacobs chuck in the tail stock to hold the bit. The pen looks good.

Fangar

You are off to a great start. I would recommend getting a heavy HSS cutter head from HF and making it into a tool. I can turn down a 5/8" rod toa cigar pen in minutes. With speed maxed out, I can cut ribbons off of the T6061.

Thanks for sharing,

Fangar

jtate

NICE! SO that was simply an aluminum tube before you turned it into a pen? Did you do any drilling on it? Did you use the tubes from the kit and, if so, how did you attach them inside the aluminum?

Julia

jahlg

very nice I just did a couple of aluminums as well, one cigar and one baron, just need to take some pic now!! Also a buffing wheel would get rid of the sand lines, i didnt use one on my cigar , but did on the baron, big difference!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom