First Alabaster stone pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hiram33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. You should post a photo of the pen here so it's easier to provide comments that way. From the photo it appears that the ball end of the clip doesn't touch the pen. True? That is a problem is making basically a slimline pen and leaving fat near the finial. It detracts from what would otherwise be a nice looking pen. But, I admire your efforts with Alabaster.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NEAT!!

One of the purposes of this forum is to suggest. Something I learned a long time ago, the slimline top will accomodate NO MORE THAN one-half inch of diameter under the clip. Make a one-half inch jig, if it doesn't fit, keep turning!!!

Generation 2 is always an improvement, and WELCOME. Remember, my advice is worth every penny you PAID for it!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice work, Hiram/Peter! My only advice (see Ed's comment above about suggestions) would be to leave the clip off entirely. That way it would not detract from an beautiful piece of work.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I like that style of kit for it s' looks and the fact you can make a larger pen with it but there are limitations.
Have you considered knocking it apart and returning the top?

Hiram33

thank all for the in put. Yes the slim line is too small for the diameter I turned. I started to notice the fine cracks and decided to stop to soon. but we learn form are mistakes so the next one will be better.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Having never turned alabaster, this is coming just from your comment.

If you started to see fine cracks at this diameter, with a whole lot of material left on the body of the pen, there may be a reason why we don't see alabaster pens. When you get down to any "pen acceptable" diameter, you will have a MAXIMUM of 1/8" of material, won't it be VERY susceptible to breakage??????????

Of course I come from the school of turning LOTS of things that crack and break and continue to turn SOME of them, so, do as YOU wish.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Hiram33
<br />thank all for the in put. Yes the slim line is too small for the diameter I turned. I started to notice the fine cracks and decided to stop to soon. but we learn form are mistakes so the next one will be better.

There is no shame in using the 80 grit gouge.
Stop at times to let things cool off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom