First Acrylic! sort of.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

This really was my first acrylic. I just didn't finish it until now.

A few months ago I contacted Buzzzz4 about doing a casting job on a piece of cherry that I had. He invited me over to his shop to have a look at it, and the usual "show n' tell" session commenced. As we got to talking he asked me if I'd ever turned any acrylics. When I said, "No." he grabbed a snake skin blank of the shelf told me to give it a try.

The next day, I went to Woodcraft to buy a Wall Street III, and turned and finished it that night. When I got home, I noticed hole in the blank that appeared to go all the way through to the skin (or close to it). Realizing that it was probably an air bubble, I took the kit apart, and proceeded to start turning/sanding it down the next day. That was as far as I got.

Well, it's been quite the busy summer for me. I was home only six days last month, and since starting that snake skin (and turning that cherry he cast), I've probably turned between 15-25 pens, and so far none of them are still in my possession. And, I still have more to do. (for many that doesn't seem like much, but I'm still pretty slow at doing this so it's quite the pace considering that I haven't been around much).

Earlier this week I just decided that I wanted to finish this pen (oh yeah, I was gone Tuesday and Wednesday also, so I guess that must have been Monday. Busy summer.) While taking the blank down I broke loose a chip that was in it (CA didn't seem to go underneath it when I tried to pour some in to bond it), so I used thick CA to build it up. I also was reminded that there was no use in trying to sand out any of the air bubbles since there always seemed to be more that would appear when I did that. I finally managed to get to a point where I felt it was a good as it was going to get, did my best to fill the holes, and finished it.

So here it is. My very first acrylic pen. Yeah, I've probably turned about 15 Corian pens since I first started this one, but it's still my first.

While it was orriginally planned for a Wall Street III, by the time I sanded it down and realized the air bubbles wouldn't go away, I didn't feel like using so much CA to build it back up to the size of the Vista/III, so I mounted the finished blank on a Monet'.

I'm also adding a photo of the blank when it was originally mounted on the Wall Street III. It shows the hole, but the chip was covered by the clip.

Thanks for looking, and any comments or critiques are welcome.

Thanks again Eric.

Attachments

• DSCN0946 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0946 (Large).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN0947 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0947 (Large).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN0951 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0951 (Large).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 149
  • 220698_224453107564722_100000001040940_976207_7085386_o.jpg
    220698_224453107564722_100000001040940_976207_7085386_o.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I still think it came out being a nice pen. I don't see the hole personally, but I am sure in person if you pointed it out I could. You did a good job. Glad you didn't give up on it too. That is one kind of blank I have yet to turn, snake skin that is.

ghostrider

I still think it came out being a nice pen. I don't see the hole personally, but I am sure in person if you pointed it out I could. You did a good job. Glad you didn't give up on it too. That is one kind of blank I have yet to turn, snake skin that is.
Thanks.

In the last pic, if you look almost directly south of the clip, and just towards where the hardware should be, you'll see a white dot.

Mistake. Void/air bubble.

Top Bottom