First acrylic pens Majestic Jr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDTurner

SDTurner

Please disregard the crappy pictures. There were taking from ancient iphone 5.

There are literally the first two things I had ever turned. I also poured my own blanks using PR and Pearl Ex Mica powders. I thought about starting with the slimline pens as everyone says those are the easiest to work with but the thought of turning a blank all the way down to that small size scared me so I went with a thicker pen and these were not too bad at all.

My next project I want to do is maybe buy/make my own molds and do a tube in cast with some Carbon Fiber sleeve or aluminum foil for steam punk style... still debating on if I really want to spend all that money on molds and pressure pot and compressor and all the...

First Pen: The black/silver/pinkesh pen was made and donated towards a silent auction for Martinis & Makeovers for widows of fallen troops. I was very happy that the pen was quite the hit.

Second Pen: the blue/green/pink etc.. was a b-day gift for a close friend of mine. She loved it :)

what do you guys think of the pens? These were the first two pens that I made after picking up a HF lathe.

PS: this hobby is EXPENSIVE! lol. so many ideas I want to try but very limited funds. Time to see if the hobby can pay for itself.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

From what I can see in the pix, those look awesome! I can't see anything to pick apart. Looks like you're starting where it took me months to get to. Oh, and Slims are probably the toughest pen to make perfectly, not the easiest--I think most start with them because they are very inexpensive. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. :)

Regards,
Michael

SDTurner

From what I can see in the pix, those look awesome! I can't see anything to pick apart. Looks like you're starting where it took me months to get to. Oh, and Slims are probably the toughest pen to make perfectly, not the easiest--I think most start with them because they are very inexpensive. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. :)

Regards,
Michael

haha thank you sir. The first time I tried putting the pen together, I was very nervous as I didn't want to screw it up as it was an expensive kit. The videos on youtube with the fancy pen press make it seem like a piece of cake. It took me a good 10 minutes to assemble each of my pens using a bar clamp from home depot. I'm thinking maybe getting a better clamp that I can use to put my pen together.

SDTurner

Thanks for the kind words guys.

If anyone was interested this is what the finished tubes looked like. The colors are easily visible in this pictures than the crappy finished pen photos above.

The 2nd pink pen came out totally nothing like what the blank looked like after turning it and discovering the amazing color swirls. It sure was a nice surprise.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 138
Fantastic job all the way! The colors & mixing, excellent fit, and superb finish all make for two very beautiful pens. Great work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom