First acrylic pen. Not a good experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LittleMissCreative

This took a very long time to turn because I struggled to see the blank
due to all the shaving Klingons. It was frustrating having to constantly stop to brush the waste away. I think I prefer wood but I may have a go again at a later stage.

I was told you can get hybrid blanks, but where from? I live in the uk.

Thanks. image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I think you got the fit and finish right--looks very nice.

I agree when you get long ribbons wrapped around the blank and bushings it is annoying. When necessary, I just stop the lathe and vacuum up the offending material. You kind of get a feel for not being able to see the gouge, but I have to see my skew, so brush off the dust with a finger after each pass.

I probably prefer to turn wood, but acrylic finishes so easily and you're practically guaranteed a good finish. With wood, my finishes are, well, variable, and sometimes take two or three times to get right.

Regards,
Michael

pianomanpj

I keep a couple of toothbrushes handy to brush away the shavings as they build up. If I apply the brush from the bottom of the blank, the shavings usually shoot off into my dust collector right behind the lathe.

stuckinohio

Your source for Hybrid blanks, which I assume you mean wood and resin combined, would be George Watkins. He's a member here, but I can't remember his user name. He's in the UK.

Pen blanks

Oh, and if you have a go at the wood and resin blanks,be aware that the materials turn slightly different depending on wood and resin used. The wood will turn off "quicker" so to speak and you can accidentaly go deeper on the wood than the resin, so it creates a small divot. Fixable, but easier if you don't have to.

Last edited:

HamTurns

Nice looking pen, I like the combination of the blank colors with the kit, nice finish too.

I keep my vacuum nozzle right in back of my spindle when turning "plastic", most of the time those long "strings" of plastic flow right into the nozzle and don't wrap up.

Like others said, a toothbrush laid upon the rotating work will take off those shavings that do wrap-up, in my case they just break up and get vacuumed away.

Happy turning - Tom

jttheclockman

You did well. Remember you will never get those wild colors using wood. Acrylic has its place. As mentioned set your dust collector or vac up so that you catch alot of those shavings as they come off the blank. After awhile you get used to working with different acrylics. Not all acrylics turn the same way. Good luck.

Also remember to reverse paint the blank so that the tube does not show through if the blank is transparent. Ruins the look of the pen. Many threads on this stuff here.

campzeke

I keep a cheap 2" throw away paint brush near the lathe to brush away chips when turning. I also use it to clean up and brush off the lathe at the end of the day. Works for me. Nice pen!

robutacion

This took a very long time to turn because I struggled to see the blank
due to all the shaving Klingons. It was frustrating having to constantly stop to brush the waste away. I think I prefer wood but I may have a go again at a later stage.

I was told you can get hybrid blanks, but where from? I live in the uk.

Thanks.View attachment 148528

Yeah, I see no great issues with the pen you turned however, if you are referring to hybrid blanks as those made with pieces of wood and resin, there are a few of us here on IAP that make and sells them, it all depend on what you are after.

Another member has already brought your attention to the different densities on those blanks, wood and resin always have different densities/hardnesses and sharp tools alone can not always be the solution, there is always an experimental time where you may need to buy some more "inexpensive" hybrid/worthless wood/mutts, resifills to experiment with.

Take note so some of the suggestions made on IAP about handling those blanks, many hints will save you some time, frustration and money....!

Cheers
George

magpens

Yes, a stiff paint brush, or similar, even a tooth brush, is what I use to remove the clingons as the blank is turning.

As for hybrid blanks, I know you are in UK, but take a look at the ExoticBlanks website.

stonepecker

Very nice looking pen. The kit and blank go well together. Nice work.

Having any kind of stiff brush will remove the 'threads' from the blank as you turn. Taking the time to keep your turning area clean is a pain.....but also a must when working poured blanks. Just another part of things you have to do when enjoying the hobby.

Last edited:

qquake

You did well. Remember you will never get those wild colors using wood. Acrylic has its place. As mentioned set your dust collector or vac up so that you catch alot of those shavings as they come off the blank. After awhile you get used to working with different acrylics. Not all acrylics turn the same way. Good luck.

Also remember to reverse paint the blank so that the tube does not show through if the blank is transparent. Ruins the look of the pen. Many threads on this stuff here.

JT is right. You'll never get blanks like this from wood. The acrylic learning curve is well worth the trouble.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 97

Jayman72

Good looking pen.

I too had issues when doing acrylic for the same reason.

I came up with a solution that works pretty good for me. As well as keeping a toothbrush handy, I have a small Vornado fan set up about 18 inches away from my lathe. When turning anything that produces a lot of dust I turn it on to get it away from me. i found that it does wonders getting the acrylic away too.

It's also nice because it keeps me cool.

Top Bottom