First Acrylic with new advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

This is a pen i justed turned to see if turning up the speed on my lathe helped me turn acrylics easier, i guess it did it took me 1/3rd of the time to turn this one. I got this AA blank from woodnwhimsies. It is a chameleon blank, it think it is pretty cool. I turned this with 1/2 bowl gouge and 1/2 skew turned at 3100 rpm. after turning just went straight to mm. mm to 12k then polished with hut plastic polish that i forgot to shake up at first(i do this alot). Thanks to Ed and alphageek and rubypenturning for the advice!

Attachments

• 100_5387.jpg
    100_5387.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_5389.jpg
    100_5389.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Very nice, good choice of material (AA) for learning.

Keep turning, nothing beats experience!!
(Keep eyes covered!!!)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Excellent .... Glad you got good results so quickly with the feedback. Keep up the great work.

You went from skew to MM? Excellent job - that tells me that you don't have a problem sharpening your skew and have excellent control of it!

crabcreekind

I really like turning acrylics now that it is so much easier. And I believe that gold plating on pen kits match pretty much everything.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I really like turning acrylics now that it is so much easier. And I believe that gold plating on pen kits match pretty much everything.

Woohoo! Another one turns to the darkside (LOL.. see my avatar)...

I love wood, but acrylics are more popular for my sales.

As for the gold plating, I suggest you find a girl (or more than one given your age :biggrin: ), and ask their opinion. Nearly every acrylic I make gets a 2nd opinion from my wife. A womans point of view can be key as they are MUCH pickier on average than us guys. There is several colors that I make that my wife says goes WAY better on chrome than gold.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
James, you will find, if you sell your pens at shows, most people KNOW what they want--gold or chrome color. I started selling only gold (1995-2000) and by the time we quit (2007ish) I was selling mostly chrome. Popular color pieces I tried to show in both gold and chrome. Then we also had some black ti, etc----you can't carry everything and somebody will want something you don't have---that's when you start talking "custom" to them. Have FUN--that's most important!!

crabcreekind

Alpha geek:I think acrylic sell better already because i sold the pink pen from that acrylic you gave me and i had to order more because someone else wanted one for their wife too.

Ed: I am going to start doing the farmers market with my cousin. I am getting some upright racks for my pen (2). and also i think i will have a custom sheet there with spaces for easily custom order pen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom