First Acrylic Acetate (AA)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I usually turn wood or things I've cast, but Exotic Blanks had these kinda retro looking Acrylic Acetate's on sale last time I put in an order so thought I'd try a couple. I have not turned AA before, so wasn't sure what to expect, though I had all the advise about how to drill, avoid heat, watch chipout, etc.

So while I was probably more cautious than usual, I didn't find this blank to be difficult to turn at all, and kinda enjoyed the easy finish (just wet sanding through MM and polishing) vs. what I usually go through with CA and wood or Alumilite. I back painted white, which I think in hindsight was a better choice than black, but next time I think I'd go with a yellow or green or to get a bit more color in the translucent sections.

Attachments

• ExoticsAA-9145.jpg
    ExoticsAA-9145.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 196
  • ExoticsAA-9146.jpg
    ExoticsAA-9146.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice !!!! . How do you like that style of click pen ? . What do you think of the wide disc on the top of the clicker button ?

Cool colors in that. I don't find the AA all that difficult to turn either. Acrylester on the other hand requires a fine touch with a skew or it likes to misbehave.

I picked up a handful of those "Aero" style click pens in the group buy we just did. They're pretty solid click pens and I've never had problems finding homes for them. It's certainly a different look than the smaller buttons. Kind of a hybrid of the long clicker pen and a Sierra.

budnder

I like the big disc on the clicker in the hand, but not as much in a photo. I think it'll sell as well or better than a conventional clicker because it's kinda unique. I did a show (and I don't do many) last weekend and this sort of thing in a $50-$60 price range is what was moving. That was my motivation for giving this a whirl now - build up some inventory of colorful, glossy, unique single body $50-$60 clickers.

The underside of the disc is a bit sharp, or at least it was on the kit I used. The design is kinda sensitive to end diameter on the blank, so a little extra use of the calipers at the end of turning to get that right.

I really like the feel of the AA - really nice and smooth.

TonyL

Beautifully turned, matched and photographed. I think AA is one on the best bargains out there among non-woods. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom