First Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alzey

Alzey

Turned my first Acrylic pen today and I learned a few thing. I now know how they make Easter Grass :biggrin: and I now know that the fillings in my teeth are acrylic:frown:. WOW does this stuff stink!!!! I had to run the fan in the shop just so i could breath and it was in the 50s today:befuddled:.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• SDC13238.jpg
    SDC13238.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looks like you got a great shine on it!!

Nice job!

Thanks..Sandpaper 400 then 600, MM to 12000, Tripoly and white diamond buffing wheels, and finished out with Renaissance Wax.

The result is superb, but you probably could eliminate either the MM or the Tripoli, they accomplish the same thing.

The tripoli is MUCH faster. I learned this late in my selling career---but you get lots more pens finished when you sand 400-600 then tripoli, then white diamond.

Just a FWIW---your way will CERTAINLY work, too!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Alzey

Ill try that on the next pen. I just got the buffing wheels yesterday so I haven't had much time to experiment. They are 3 inch wheel that i load in my drill. I use while the lathe in running. Seems to work well for me.

Drstrangefart

I ditched the Tripoli and use just Micromesh, followed by Simoniz Vista liquid car wax at the end. It makes for AMAZING finishes. Ya got a great pen there, and welcome to the world of plastics.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ill try that on the next pen. I just got the buffing wheels yesterday so I haven't had much time to experiment. They are 3 inch wheel that i load in my drill. I use while the lathe in running. Seems to work well for me.

That can work--steady hand required!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Very nice job Alzey. I remember turning my first acrylic... About 10 months ago :). You will get use to the smell. I just turned one made of Alumilite (? I think that is what it's called.). The threads that spin of are like leeches! They stick like CA glue. I like PR better.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tip of the day:

You can remove the "threads" with a grill brush while the lathe is running, takes a few seconds.

No, you will not scratch up your blank. Yes, I have proven this to those who disbelieve.

cionow777

Very nice work. I use MM through the numbers and then use a high-end automobile polish. I have tried several, all with good results, at least with the better products. A little renissance wax to finish it off. The smell, well, you just get used to it...

Kevin
Alabama
http://www.mazurkapens.com

Top Bottom