First Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Katsin

Katsin

Hi everyone. This was my first attempt at an acrylic pen and I am happy with the results:

pen06a.jpg

I used a Pen Maker's Choice pen blank and Apprentice Classica kit from Craft Supplies USA. I sanded it up to 12,000 grit with micro pads and also used plastic polish.

As you can see in the photo, the brass tube does show through a bit on the finished product. Any tips on how to avoid that?

Also, I did use thick super glue gel to secure the brass tube to the pen blank and it seemed to work fine but I did worry that epoxy would have been better with the acrylic.

All comments welcome. Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

You should paint the tubes before glueing them in. Try to paint lighter color acrylics with simular color paint. Teseors makes good paint for that.

ctubbs

Beautiful pen you created. The fit and finish is very good. From my very limited experience and reading here, painting the hole seems to cause fewer problems. Simply painting the tubes can allow the glue to show through the blank whereas painting the hole hides all the glue swirls. I have abandoned using CA for fastening tubes in blanks and gone to epoxy. I use either 5 or 15 minute epoxy depending on the rush. The 15 gives me more time to use the mixed batch before it starts to setup on me. I have had failures using CA or Gorilla glue, but none with epoxy. YMMV
Charles

Katsin

I use either 5 or 15 minute epoxy depending on the rush.

I've got some 15 minute epoxy. Can I really begin work on the pen after just 15 minutes or should I give 15 minute epoxy a lot longer before I take a barrel trimmer to it?

Teseors makes good paint for that.

Do you mean Testor's paint? I've used it before for models. Any particular type of Testor's paint? I'm guessing the acrylic paint would be a better choice than enamel.

Last edited:

drgoretex

I use either 5 or 15 minute epoxy depending on the rush.

I've got some 15 minute epoxy. Can I really begin work on the pen after just 15 minutes or should I give 15 minute epoxy a lot longer before I take a barrel trimmer to it?

Teseors makes good paint for that.

Do you mean Testor's paint? I've used it before for models. Any particular type of Testor's paint? I'm guessing the acrylic paint would be a better choice than enamel.

When I use epoxy for tube glue-up, I use 5-minute, and I set the blank with the tube in it somewhere very warm (under a desk light, or in front of a space heater) for about 30 min before trying to trim or turn it. I have not used 15 min epoxy, but would suspect that a couple of hours might be safer.

BTW, a very nice looking pen! I think you'll find acrylic very addictive.

Ken

Top Bottom