First Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

I got this acrylic from Rocklers just could not resist it. Turned so much easier than I thought it would though and I am happy with the result. One side if you look carefully looks like an abstract painting with an eye at the top and the nose and mouth at the bottom, thought it was cool.
Silver with Black on a Sierra Black TI.

Attachments

• 1053a.jpg
    1053a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1053b.jpg
    1053b.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Beautifull blank, not sure how I like the "bulging" center in the shaping but who the heck am I to criticize.

Sabaharr

I have stopped to making nothing but acrylics lately. THey seem to sell fast and are easy to finish. I just can't seem to get a decent finish (one that I will accept) on a piece of wood. I have hundreds of wood blanks accumulated just waiting for a kit, but every time I try one they just don't finish out well. I haven't given up, just concentrating on what I seem to be able to do well and leaving the hard part for when I am better at it. I still do a few wood pens a week, but they are accumulating with unacceptable finishes and rising overhead cost with no return. Looks like I will drown in the acrylic lagoon until I can get my CA to be OK.
Stephen

jkeithrussell

I have stopped to making nothing but acrylics lately. THey seem to sell fast and are easy to finish. I just can't seem to get a decent finish (one that I will accept) on a piece of wood. I have hundreds of wood blanks accumulated just waiting for a kit, but every time I try one they just don't finish out well. I haven't given up, just concentrating on what I seem to be able to do well and leaving the hard part for when I am better at it. I still do a few wood pens a week, but they are accumulating with unacceptable finishes and rising overhead cost with no return. Looks like I will drown in the acrylic lagoon until I can get my CA to be OK.
Stephen

Try rounding over some common woods -- like walnut, cherry, maple. You can do this between centers and there's no need to drill a hole. Sand them to 600 or so, and practice your CA finish. That way, you don't waste any tubes or pen kits, and you can practice all you want at very little cost. Experiment with different variables -- thin/medium CA, with and without BLO, with/without accelerant, different lathe speeds, etc. I have done that on a great many blanks trying to work through the same problem that you described.

I've come close to giving up wood blanks for the same reason. But acrylics, to me, just don't have the uniqueness and the versatility that you get with wood.

nava1uni

Really beautiful pen. I like working with acrylic and its ease in finishing. However, I love working with wood for it's different type of beauty. It has a depth that comes through when finished and what it is like to turn and how it feels underneath my fingers.

Top Bottom