first acrlic, not thrilled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mjrbuzz

mjrbuzz

This was my first attempt at acrlyc today. Not reall happy with the results. I shoulda painted the tube i think, and probably picked a different thicker kit. Well looks like my little girl got her own stylus pen :) hopefully the one i make for her teacher will turn out more plesent on the eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20140916_201530.jpg
    IMG_20140916_201530.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 343
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shock me

On the bright side, I think it's well turned, it looks like you achieved well the shape you were going for
The finish looks good and it looks to me like the fit at the centerband is good.
The overall look isn't so much to my taste, but that's just me
I often wonder why people tend to start with slimline kits when the Sierra kits are single barrel and getting a pleasing profile is so much easier
And yes, gotta paint especially on the translucent stuff

mjrbuzz

I was really going for a much slimmer profile, but once i turned down the part tword the nib i saw how bad the tube was showing through so i had to change and kind of go a different direction. not happy with the shape except at the center band. but it was well worth the learning experence :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A suggestion:
When you realized the material was not opaque enough, throw away your centerband and make the pen thicker. You can insert a contrasting piece at the center, or just radius the top and bottom barrels so the junction looks planned.

"Redesign opportunities" are not common in pens, but they DO happen!!

Of course, in the future backpaint the hole, a pleasant pink and the problem will be much more controlled.

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

It does look good. I agree, future acrylics need reverse painting (especially if they're opaque). My typical test is to hold the blank up to the bright light above my lathe. If I can see the light inside the drilled hole, it definitely needs painting. The finish looks relatively scratch free. I'll be picking up a package of the MM, and we can meet up one day during next week if that's alright. Wet micro meshing will help. On that lathe, I'd use the lowest speed (or just a hair above) so you don't burn the MM onto the blank.

mjrbuzz

It does look good. I agree, future acrylics need reverse painting (especially if they're opaque). My typical test is to hold the blank up to the bright light above my lathe. If I can see the light inside the drilled hole, it definitely needs painting. The finish looks relatively scratch free. I'll be picking up a package of the MM, and we can meet up one day during next week if that's alright. Wet micro meshing will help. On that lathe, I'd use the lowest speed (or just a hair above) so you don't burn the MM onto the blank.

Clark, thank you for pickin that up while ya were up there. I would love to see some of your pens in person and maybe gather a few tips from ya too. Let me know via FB when would be a good day.

butchf18a

This was my first attempt at acrlyc today. Not reall happy with the results. I shoulda painted the tube i think, and probably picked a different thicker kit. Well looks like my little girl got her own stylus pen :) hopefully the one i make for her teacher will turn out more plesent on the eyes.

They are not mistakes...simply adding to my storehouse of knowledge.

Top Bottom