This is the First

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ironman123

ironman123

Was easier than I thought. Upper is Aluminum from round bar. Lower is walnut from a plank I have had for over 20 years. Penkit is from Rockler Starter Kit. Finish is CA

First Pen3.JPGFirst Pen4.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Vortex has you!

Question:
How does the pen feel in your hand since you have had a day to write with it? (Does the upper barrel out-weigh the lower)

Was the aluminum larger? Could it have been left lerger to match up with the centerband and the clip?

Scott (can sell it, you gotta keep it) B

ironman123

SDB777 (Scott) it is a little top heavy. I am making a Walnut Upper as a replacement. That way I can have my first and also the lighter walnut for writing.

I guess we live and learn. Didnot think of the weight when I made it. Thanks.

ironman123 Ray

BradG

SDB777 (Scott) it is a little top heavy. I am making a Walnut Upper as a replacement. That way I can have my first and also the lighter walnut for writing.

I guess we live and learn. Didnot think of the weight when I made it. Thanks.

ironman123 Ray

Or simply reverse it Ray :) I am a fan of metal. i am also a fan of wood and its a good idea IMO combing the two such as you have done. Scott raised a good point about it being top heavy. then why not switch it round and make it bottom heavy. I see no reason why the wood couldnt be on the top half.

Heavy is a bit of a strong word... as drilled out aluminium such as this piece would be rather light.. just a little more weighty than a piece of wood. That makes sense to me anyway... most probably reads like jibberish :rolleyes:

Feel free to have a nosey through my metal pens here
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?u=13530

ironman123

OK Scott, here is the same pen but with a Walnut upper. It is more balanced than the Aluminum upper.My First with Walnut 3B.jpg

Just noticed it is not showing the clip but it is on there.

Ray ironman123

Last edited:

ironman123

Part 2 of the First

The first was Aluminum upper and Walnut lower..then came the Walnut upper.. Now I had this Aluminum upper with no bottom so here it is.Alum Pen1.JPG Alum Pen2.JPG

Ray

bluwolf

The 1st pen I did was walnut. The 2nd one was walnut and aluminum. Guess what the 3rd was:biggrin: I like the all aluminum best. Like Brad I prefer the metal. Very nice job on the contour of the nib on the all aluminum pen.

Mike

Top Bottom