First

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Well this is my first metal pen and it is an aluminum cigar with Blk TG kit. Have to say it will definetly not be my last. It turned very easily and after I figured out the finish it finish easily also. Thanks for looking.

IMGP0368-1.jpg

Just a couple things I did learn while doing this pen and first I would like to thank all for the turning tips as well as the finishing tips. This place rocks for sure. Always great help here.

I learned I need to work on my photo skils because metal pens are not easy to shoot. I did learn that a pin chuck is what I will use when I want to face off the blank. Excellent idea with the HF punch set. Learned even though I used the brass tubes it still takes abit more muscle to press fit the fittings so I had to resort to my drill press instead of the pen press. Learned that the supplied bushings will not be reliable anymore aftyer the first cutting. No big deal there though. Learned do not sand these blanks using the good bushings. Learned that a scouring pad is the ticket for a satin finish as opposed to sandpaper. Learned that sanding is a messy thing with the black from the al. Also learned if I want a super super shine on metal NU SHINE II is the product for that. Holy smokes what a shine you can get with thatstuff. Will try a high gloss shine next. Have to see if I can powdercoat these without too much problem sometime in the summer. Well that is it and again thanks to all for the help. Have a great day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Looks great John. I learned that if I buy the aluminum from JohnnyCNC, I dont have to face it off and don't need tubes either. That black water is a nasty mess. To make that pen from a block or rod you drilled yourself, it looks flawless...you did real good!

masl

john pen looks spot on, what the weight like ? would you say the same as a wooden pen ?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That looks sharp.. good choice on the black ti. If is just different enough
from the color of the aluminum to set it off nicely.

I've been able to get a mirror shine just using the MM and white diamond
bar, but I think that without some sort of coating, I wouldn't want that kind
of finish. Just like a mirror, anything that touches it will stay there until you
polish it again. The mirror finish didn't make it past assembly.
I've been (sorta) looking for a lacquer that's good for aluminum and brass,
but haven't gotten far in my searches yet. (No time!)

Keep it up.. I think that combination would be a great seller.

jttheclockman

john pen looks spot on, what the weight like ? would you say the same as a wooden pen ?

It really is not much heavier than an acrylic blank. I think when you get into copper and brass the weight goes up. Will let you know because I have some of that on order as well.

jttheclockman

I like to thank everyone for the kinds words. I do have a long way to go to getter better with the metal pens but like everything in life practice practice practice. Thank you again everyone who answered my many questions on turning metal pens and finishing them. Learning so much here on this site. Hope to keep improving.

Top Bottom