First 3 Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kurt Aebi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

I finally convinced my wife, Karen to turn a few pens on our mini lathe. These are the first things she has ever done on the lathe, I think sh did herself proud (I'm biased, of course!) Seh wants these to go th teh FPP for the troops.

I assembled the first on for her and she did the other 2 by herself. Left to right:
Purple Poplar, Ipe & Walnut Slimlines.

200527125438_Karen_Sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

uh oh, time to get your wife her own lathe and tools. If you don't you may never get back on "your" lathe. Now would be a good time to upgrade your lathe and let the wife use the existing one!!! [;)]

She did good, and she should be proud of those pens!

Ryan

Kurt Aebi

Getting her on the mini lathe was part of the plan for shop expansion - it has already worked, she asked about getting her own mini and I suggested that I get a lerger one that I could do bigger stuff on and free that one up for her. She said to start shopping around! Any suggestions?

ryannmphs

ohhhh, you're one sick puppy. Sucking your wife into the vortex (a.k.a. woodturning) with you just so you can upgrade your lathe. That's just sooooo not right! [;)]

Glad it worked out for ya!

Ryan

JimGo

Nice job, both on the con (getting the upgrade) and on the pens! How do we contribute to the freedom pen project?

melogic

Nice job Kurt, on the teaching and on the new lathe. My wife has given me the go ahead on a new larger lathe as well. I'm not sure exactly what I want. I have seen a new Craftsman. It's a 15" VS lathe. The motor head will swivel sideways to allow for the turning of up to a 20" bowl. I'm going to Woodcraft next weekend, maybe I will find something there.

Fred in NC

Kurt, check carefully on the spindle thread size. You don't want to end up with an oddball size that will make it hard to get chucks and other parts for.

Kurt Aebi

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Nice job, both on the con (getting the upgrade) and on the pens! How do we contribute to the freedom pen project?

Jim, just go to www.freedompens.org or www.sawmillcreek.org they are the one's that actually came up and got the ball rollong.

darbytee

Fantastic pens, but the Oneway 2436 might be a little bit too small for two people to share. Maybe you should just jump right up to the Stubby 750. It will let you turn those 30" diameter bowls that we all do so often and will still give you plenty of room between centers.

Gary

I was thinking give the wife the Mini and keep the Biggie for himself[;)]

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Fantastic pens, but the Oneway 2436 might be a little bit too small for two people to share. Maybe you should just jump right up to the Stubby 750. It will let you turn those 30" diameter bowls that we all do so often and will still give you plenty of room between centers.

Andy Ryan

OOh,....I am jelouse. Just remember, It sucks to buy it twice, buy a good one the first time and be done with it. She did a nice job on the pens buy the way. And you did a nice thing for her(wink wink).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom