First 3 pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carole in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

I just got my lathe last week and just turned my first 3 pens. From right to left: walnut, cherry and white oak. The oak was sort of a saved disaster. I used grey wet/dry sandpaper on it and the pores turned black (lesson learned.) I shaved it down some more and figured well, if I had a lemon I might as well make lemonade, so I put walnut grain filler on it.[:eek:)] This pen thing sure is fun!

20041211185847_first3_2_opt.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Wow, Carole !!!! Great job! What are you using for a finish?

I have filled the grain on purpose many times, especially in oak pens. Makes the wood more interesting, especially if it is light in color.

These are the Elegant American pens I think. I just got a shipment from Bill B. Parker refills.

Keep up the good work, Carole!

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br /> What are you using for a finish?

Hi Fred!
I tried several finishes from what I had on hand. The walnut is Velvit Oil, the cherry is French Polish and the oak is poly. I am going to order some high friction polish today. The pen kits were Hart Double Twist from Woodcraft.

G

You've been busy since you posted on WC.
Great job!
HAve you discovered Micromesh yet?

Mike_O

Carole,

Nice job! My first 3 weren't nearly as nice. Skill in woodturning, just like any other type of wood working, is more about making your mistakes into lessons learned and then into assets. I think that the oak pen looks great!

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />HAve you discovered Micromesh yet?

Have read about it but don't have any. I got the feeling that was more for stabilized woods? Does that stuff last longer than sandpaper?

G

THe numbers say it outlasts sandpaper 8-1 but that is extremely understated.
It can be washed and reused.
I still have some I bought in June and still using it.(Go light the latex can melt.)A
set of 3x6" sheets( I cut them into 2x3" rectangles) goes for about 10-12 bucks.
I just order3d some from the violin supply house that cost $45.00 for 6x12" sheets,shipping included.
Do a search,theres a lot of information on it.
Grits start at 400 and go up tojsut under a brown paper bag.
It was developed to take scratches out of airplane windshields.

Daniel

Fantastic pens. and I also like the save best.
As for Micro Mesh. i still have my first set from two years ago. with two new sets waiting for it to wear out. actually they could have been replaced a while back but I am a miser. and they still work. and I have made several hundred pens with them in every type of material.

jkirkb94

I feel your pain. I learned real fast about grey sandpaper especially on light woods. Great save!!! Home Depot has the aluminum oxide (yellow paper) up to 400 grit. I use this on most pens. I agree also that you might want to look into Micro Mesh, especially if you eventually decide (which you will) to try out some resin blanks. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom