First 2014 Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My wife gave me these pen kits and some beautiful blanks for Christmas. I asked her which of the new blanks she liked best & she chose the blue breaking waves blank, so I made the Lancer pen for her - she loves it!

For the fountain pen, I chose a blank that I got from another member here a few months ago. It has a lot of tiny white dots which I suspect were the result of acrylic sanding dust getting trapped in small air bubble pits, but I actually like the effect. I think it looks like a star field in a swirling galaxy.

Both pens are slick as owl grease. Simply sanded to 12000 mm and polished with StickFast satin & gloss polish.

Attachments

• First 2014 Pens2.jpg
    First 2014 Pens2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, nice pens! I've had the identical problem with white specs when using Stick Fast on wood. Not sure what is the cause - I originally suspected moisture.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Jeff. The spots were there before I applied the Stick Fast polish. After I finished turning, I first dry sanded with 400 & 500 grit - can't remember if I noticed the dots before or after that sanding though. I cleaned the blank with DNA after the dry sanding then wet sanded through all the mm grits.

If anyone has any ideas about the white dots, please let me know. They worked out well on this blank but generally would not be desirable.

OZturner

Two Terrific Pens Ed,
I actually don't mind the white specs, from a photograph, it is hard to tell if they should be there or not.
Terrific Fit and Finish, though I have no experience with Owl Grease.
Have a great Year.
Brian.

Top Bottom