First 2 attempts at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

Inspired by some amazing work you guys show, I decided I wanted to branch out and try some segmenting.

The first is cedar in padauk. Unfortunately, I got quite a bit of red from the padauk embedded in the cedar. It looks okay if you don't know that it should be less red, but it still bugs me. I like the shape of this trident (polaris knock-off) better than the last one.

The second is some unknown cream wood with black lines in bloodwood. The two ends don't match because of a drilling fubar, but I really like the burl on the nib end. I can't decide if I like cigar pens or not. They are so much nicer to put together than slimlines, but also more expensive. For the higher price, I think I lean toward the sierra or polaris type pens with the single tube. The clip is covering one arm of the cross on the back because I discovered after turning that the piece I glued in there was tapered, and that arm was noticeably smaller than the rest. The cross is also crooked. I need a drill press or something.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shadrach1944

New attempts

Pretty good for your first 2 attempts, I'm use the dedicated pen blank chuck from PSI for drilling all my blanks now, hardly ever use my drill press any more. It works Great! as it is self centering. You may want to try the EL Grande from Berea Hardwoods, they have them on special for only $4.00 and $4.25 each. I really like them and they are easily assembled.

Attachments

• AfricanPinkIvoryEL Grandesize112.jpg
    AfricanPinkIvoryEL Grandesize112.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 135
  • HedgeApple EL Grandesize07.jpg
    HedgeApple EL Grandesize07.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 138
  • American Holly0820.jpg
    American Holly0820.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Spalted EL Grande Streamline883.jpg
    Spalted EL Grande Streamline883.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 142

Fibonacci

Pretty good for your first 2 attempts, I'm use the dedicated pen blank chuck from PSI for drilling all my blanks now, hardly ever use my drill press any more. It works Great! as it is self centering. You may want to try the EL Grande from Berea Hardwoods, they have them on special for only $4.00 and $4.25 each. I really like them and they are easily assembled.

I was looking at the El Grande when they first went on sale, but I dont have a B mandrel or any desire to buy one just for their pen.

I intend to turn between centers when I get some extra cash sitting around, but I can't really justify getting a new live center and a dead center when the system I have works.

Fibonacci

I am thinking about trying to sell a couple pens now to feed the addiction.

What kind of price point does something like this generally have? I was thinking along the lines of $40.

Is that totally out of line? I figured a slimline with 2 tubes but no fancy segmenting or anything would go about $20.

Top Bottom