Firewood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krudwig

Krudwig

I picked up a piece of firewood from the pile at my Dad's house and was pleasantly surprised with what I found inside when I cut into it. I'm not sure what it is but I think it may be hickory that is spalted but not sure. I added the countertop material Gabralter but it probably would have looked better without it. This is number twelve total pens I've completed. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 280
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I'm gonna say....hackberry. But I've been wrong before....seen a little bit of hickory:eek: around here.

Looks like the fit-n-finish are getting much better!!!

Scott (cutting timber tomorrow) B

Krudwig

Is hackberry dense and somewhat heavy ? It defiantly the best pen so far, I used ca finish with BLO and finished with HUT wax. I only had one piece of that firewood but got a lot of blanks out of it.

SDB777

Is hackberry dense and somewhat heavy ? It defiantly the best pen so far, I used ca finish with BLO and finished with HUT wax. I only had one piece of that firewood but got a lot of blanks out of it.

Most spalted timber has lost most of its weight. It would be most difficult to say what each sized piece would weigh.
Not what I'd call a really dense timber....like I said, I've been wrong before. Did you happen to get any photo's of the bark from the wood pile?

Scott (fun ain't it!) B

Top Bottom