A Fire Dragon Streched "a long tail"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

A few months ago I made a lathe bit for Jeff Powell, I was joking when I said why don't you send me one of those awesome dragon Blanks. Well a week or so later, two blanks came in the mail. He'd already paid me and I was just joking about the blanks, But he sent me this incredible blank plus on other that is on the agenda. It sat on my desk for the past 2 or 3 months, and I've been trying to figure if it would fit an El Grande.
So first thing the Dragon was too long to fit the cap, second there was way too much color on the bottom of the fire end to cut off, SOOO I extended the length by joining two tubes soldering them together in the top stretching it by a bit over a 1/4 inch and did about the same on the bottom half.
After rounding the blanks, I endured a severe pucker factor of about 8.5 on the sphincter scale while I drilled the cap, since they are done from 2 pieces of wood, and a 13.3 drill leaves a BIG hole. I glued the soldered tubes into the blanks, reamed them with an expansion reamer after they dried for a day and went to work. The pen was finished with 4 coats of thin CA and 5 coats of Med, cured for 24 hours then wet sanded to 1000 and polished with Novus, and fitted with a Heritance SF fine point nib, I'm going to test drive it today. As a point of reference on the length the 3rd photo is my prize El Grande that was a front page pen in June 2008
Any and all comments, critiques and or criticisms, will be appreciated,
Thanks For Looking, it feels good to make pens again :biggrin:

Attachments

• Dragon-Fire--1.jpg
    Dragon-Fire--1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Dragon-Fire--2.jpg
    Dragon-Fire--2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Dragon-Fire-3.jpg
    Dragon-Fire-3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 190
  • Dragon-Fire-4.jpg
    Dragon-Fire-4.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Excellent adaptation. I bet it writes well to. I like the diameter of the elgrande, but unposted it seems a little short, and I never liked to scratch up the cap by friction posting it. Best of both worlds there. Good work.

workinforwood

Great looking pen Ken. I think by stretching the kit, you made the pen not look so fat and stubby. It looks awesome buddy! Who even knew they could customize a pen without instructions in Tennessee!?! :tongue::biggrin:

bitshird

I just test drove it to write the rent check for the shop, and the fine nib doesn't seem much narrower than the Dayacom or Berea who evers Medium nib, BUT i still had to drill out the finial in order to get the second cartridge in it
unposted the balance is superb, The few people that have seen it have all had their jaws hit the floor, it is an awesome bank. Thanks Jeff, Soldering the tubed together was a pain, I used a Vee Block an it tried to draw a lot of the heat a way from the joints
"Instructions?? We doan need no stinkin instructions"
Thanks for all the kind words.

Last edited:

broitblat

Certainly worth the effort to preserve as much of the blank as possible and you did a great job with the visual balance of the result and a great looking pen.

I don't know that I'd have had the nerve to put that on an El Grande with as little material as remains after turning :)

-Barry

bitshird

Certainly worth the effort to preserve as much of the blank as possible and you did a great job with the visual balance of the result and a great looking pen.

I don't know that I'd have had the nerve to put that on an El Grande with as little material as remains after turning :)

-Barry[/QUOT
Barry, there was a very tight pucker factor it was way up on the sphincter scale. I started breathing about ten minutes after the hole was through and it was off the lathe. I did cheat, I drilled it on my metal lathe since I know at that distance there is less the. .0003 out. But it still was scary, if the blank had been one solid piece it wouldn't have been But so scary, but out of two pieces it was nerve wracking, I didn't step drill or any thing, just center drilled and drilled on through in a 3 jaw chuck.I have a great amount of confidence in Jeff's glue ups. for a runaway Canuck he's a pretty good wood worker.

bitshird

Un posted it feels great, but with the cap posted it's a bit off balance, it's one of the first pens I've put any thought in before turning in a long time, but now I know what can be done by soldering tubes together, I'm looking forward to trying it on some other kits. and Jeff did a fantastic job of designing an awesome blank,'Thanks Jeff

Top Bottom