finishing of snakeskin pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hosspen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosspen

Does anyone here have suggestions or tips for getting a clear, shiney finish, on snakeskin blanks? I tried to folllow the steps that came with them but am hoping for a clearer finish than I achieved with the mm pads and plastic polish. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Don't understand your problem. MM all the way through the grades, sanded wet makes for a clear, scratch free finish for me. Do stop lathe and hand sand lengthwise on the blank between each grit. Sand at low speed and a light touch. Gotta admit, I do 'pop' the shine with a caranuba wax for presentation but it probably really isn't needed.

Hosspen

Thank You Frank. I have not stopped and ran the mm or sandpaper lengthwise. That sounds like it would help. Also I will try slowing down the lathe speed and a lighter touch. Thanks again.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Slow lathe speed and your hand moving very quickly left/right will create a cross-hatch pattern of scratches that are easier to remove than just "around" the blank.

Wet sand paying very careful attention to the early "grits" making sure that you have all the "around" grooves removed with your lengthwise sanding before moving to the next grit.

After MM12000 switch to a polishing compound like Flitz or one of the automotive ones on a micro-fiber cloth (keeping away from the threads on the edge) for that final "oh WOW" shine.

Let us know how it goes!!
GK

Or you can use the Beall buffing system and be done in about 3 minutes. If you watch this video http://content.penturners.org/video/3Dresin_3.wmv that Ed does, you will see that the Beall gives you a glass quality polish.

edstreet

Originally posted by Hosspen
<br />Does anyone here have suggestions or tips for getting a clear, shiney finish, on snakeskin blanks? I tried to folllow the steps that came with them but am hoping for a clearer finish than I achieved with the mm pads and plastic polish. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I just finished one recently. I skipped many grits and went from 400grit to 2500 grit with white compound, also used Novus and paper towels and my fingers. It cleaned up super good and scratch free. I found the material came off quite fast and easy so not a bit amount of sandpaper needed cept for shaping.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom