Finished up two orders and got them engraved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from byounghusband

byounghusband

Had a few orders I finished this past week.... First a pair of Maple Cigar Pen & Pencil set. Engraved a pen box to go with them. I went to John Driscoll's shop for the engraving. He's good!! We had to do the box in two stages.. First the pose and color-fill. Then the heart and text.

Attachments

• DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC01644.JPG
    DSC01644.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

The Other Order

Here are the other four pens from the other order that John engraved for me:
Two Texas Mountain Laurel (Mescal Bean from Curtis) Chrome Sierras. The first one had such beautiful grain, that it was almost a shame to engrave it and cover the wood....
Then an Aboyna Burl Satin Nickel CSUSA Euro and then a Saigon Cinnimon Jr. Statesman Chrome.
All pens from both orders are are finished with BLO/CA and buffed Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnuba Wax.

Attachments

• DSC01636.JPG
    DSC01636.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC01635.JPG
    DSC01635.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC01639.JPG
    DSC01639.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01638.JPG
    DSC01638.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC01641.JPG
    DSC01641.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 153

jttheclockman

Bob

Great work on all the pens. I like the malpe alot. I assume that is curly maple??? I see you got the figure to stand out, did you use blo or anything to highlight the grain??? What was your top coat choice on all of them??? Thanks for the reply.

SherryD

I shared the pictures with Sherry, she said she was sorry that she was not here to really enjoy the Texas Mountain Laurel pens in particular. Thank you for the kind words, look forward to seeing more of your pens in the future. You really do nice work. You put pressure on me now...Sherry said I have to go to the shop and turn at least one of the three Mountain Laurel blanks that I got from Curtis. As if I don't have enough to do:)

byounghusband

John,
I use the same finish on all of my pens. I sand 240, 320, 400, 600, and somethimes 800 grit. Then I do three coats of BLO/CA. I follow most of the procedure that Don Ward taught me a couple years ago.... http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/donwardca.pdf

I then buff them on my homemade Beall style buffer with Tripoli, white Diamond and Carnuba Wax. I don't use HUT Polish or TSW like Don does....

I have a bunch of those blanks that I got a long time ago. You can get similar ones from AS.....

Bob

Great work on all the pens. I like the malpe alot. I assume that is curly maple??? I see you got the figure to stand out, did you use blo or anything to highlight the grain??? What was your top coat choice on all of them??? Thanks for the reply.

byounghusband

C'mon John, I'm just tired, but you are RE-tired.... You've got lots of time on your hands right???:rolleyes:

After seeing your scrap box, I am combing my shop and wood piles for interesting pieces to use next time I visit.... Tell Sherry we'll have to schedule it better so that she will be there and I will bring my wife along too. She wants to see your shop and what you do.....

You put pressure on me now...Sherry said I have to go to the shop and turn at least one of the three Mountain Laurel blanks that I got from Curtis. As if I don't have enough to do:)

Top Bottom