Finished this order yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bev Polmanteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This lady sent me a large bowl, 2 candle holders and 2 wooden candles and wanted as many pens made from it as possible. I managed to get 7! It was quite a challenge as there were some bad spots to work around. But, I loved the challenge! Thanks for looking.

2004121303724_Bonnies%207.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike_O

Bev, GOOD LOOKING PENS!!! Also a nice variation of kits and customizations. What are the green bands made of? They shine like polished marble. ;-) You have to love customers that will let you do whatever the muse leads you to do.

low_48

Really nice job Bev. Red Cedar can really be a bitch to sand. I did some tops and pens for the Freedom Pens from it. My new technique is to sand with 320 and then burnish the wood with the back of the oval skew. Turn up the speed to about 2000 and with medium pressure just rub the metal along slowly. The cedar will really take on a great shine. No more sanding needed after that. I think it's the oil in the wood that makes this work.

Great looking pens and I like the bands as well!

Rich

tipusnr

Did I get this right? She sent you someone else's turnings and said - "Cut these up, make me pens, and I'll pay you for it"? That's a bit unusual but I like it. Wonder what the original turner would think about it? Were the items she sent you somehow unusable in their original form? There's got to be more to this story!!

By the way, the pens did come out really nicely!

The center bands are malachite. The story as I got it was that these pieces were a family heirloom passed to her from her parents. She has several brothers and sisters and couldn't share them in their natural state so she had me make pens out of them for each of them. They were a really nice set to start with. The bowl had a very thick bottom and a pedestal so I could harvest quite a bit of wood from it. Worked for me. She lives in Oklahoma and I forgot to ask her how she got my name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom