Finished - First Sale!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ROOKIETURNER

ROOKIETURNER

Well, I posted the first pen yesterday. A Walnut Burl Gatsby for a friend's Father, she also wanted a pen for her Mother. She picked out the Atlas and stayed with the Walnut Burl. Both with a CA finish. I am sorry that I ever bought a bottle of Hut's Crystal Coat, CA is just about the only way to go.

So here they are:

1_DSC03891sm.jpg

1_DSC03885sm.jpg

1_DSC03867sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I agree on the CA! I have a piece of axis antler that was dry as dust when i turned it. It is so dry, it was cracked in several places when i started. It is handled MUCH MUCH more than most writing insturments and is still as bright and clean as day one.

ROOKIETURNER

I use this as a polish on all wood pens before CA finish.
It's used basically the same as a plastic polish on acrylics after sanding.

Will the CA fully grab the wax in the HCC? That was my only fear. I didn't want customers returning pens that the finish was cracking or pulling away from the wood.

jaeger

Will the CA fully grab the wax in the HCC? That was my only fear. I didn't want customers returning pens that the finish was cracking or pulling away from the wood.

I haven't had that problem. I use cotton material to apply the polish and again a clean piece to fully buff off any residue before applying the CA.
In my view, the polish is acting as an extra fine MM.
With the speed of the lathe and the clean material, the wax shouldn't be a factor and hasn't been for me.

David Keller

Nice looking pens... I'd personally stay away from wax products under CA finishes. I'm glad others have not had problems, but I don't think the finishes will be as likely to last. It could certainly be used over a CA finish, but I don't see much reason to use it there either.

Lenny

Very Nice! Congrats on your first sale.
Did you know that you are entitled to spend 10x whatever you got for your first sale in more penturning supplies! Really! It's in the rules ..... somewhere ..... well, my rules anyway! :)

CHICAGOHAND

A pen for Charles

I just finished this one. Just wanted to post it on my disciples page.
It is for a man who has come a long way since first meeting him at church through one of our ministries.

Attachments

• maple pen.jpg
    maple pen.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom