Finest Ironwood Burl On Black Ti Aero!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Been a little while since last post. So I decided to get some really nice ironwood burl and I had some difficulties with making a double tubes pen. Ironwood is generally voidy and it is rare to find flawless blanks, so I had a really costy blank blow out while drilling and I took a few weeks off from turning because it ****ed me off badly. :)

So today I took what was left of the blank and I went for it. I like the shape of it, finish is spot on as well. I lost count at around 25 coats of med CA.

As always, clicky the thumbnails. The first 4 are finished product and the last one is the blank sanded prepared to size prior finish.

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Charles, I am impressed as usual by you excellent timber, your beautiful blinding finish and the wonderful fit. BUT I hate looking at you fantastic images!! I feel so inadequate, even though I do have one longer lower appendage :rolleyes:
Seriously you come up with the most beautiful wood's I could possibly imagine, and do them a great tribute.

plantman

Hey guys,

Been a little while since last post. So I decided to get some really nice ironwood burl and I had some difficulties with making a double tubes pen. Ironwood is generally voidy and it is rare to find flawless blanks, so I had a really costy blank blow out while drilling and I took a few weeks off from turning because it ****ed me off badly. :)

So today I took what was left of the blank and I went for it. I like the shape of it, finish is spot on as well. I lost count at around 25 coats of med CA.

As always, clicky the thumbnails. The first 4 are finished product and the last one is the blank sanded prepared to size prior finish.

Charles

Charles: Fantastic looking blank !! Fine fit and finish. Jim S:RockOn:

Keep up the great work Jim S

plano_harry

Charles, beautiful work as usual. Even your hardware looks shinier than mine!:rolleyes:

On your unfinished photo, there is a smooth shine already. Did you CA to fill the grain in this photo? What grit do you go to before laying on the CA finish coats?

Thanks for sharing your techniques. Nice to see your work again!

Harry

CharlesH

Thanks Harry!

I sand with P220, P320, P400 then P600 and I blow air on the blanks.

When I sand I make sure I do not cake the sanding paper and and always keep my hand moving fast. I use strips of 1/2" which I cut myself. I usually use shop towels to rub the blank a bit and I avoid touching the blank with bare hands to make sure I do not leave any oily finger marks.

Charles

Charles, beautiful work as usual. Even your hardware looks shinier than mine!:rolleyes:

On your unfinished photo, there is a smooth shine already. Did you CA to fill the grain in this photo? What grit do you go to before laying on the CA finish coats?

Thanks for sharing your techniques. Nice to see your work again!

Harry

Top Bottom