Finally Tried It

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fleabit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

I finally got around to trying one of those checkered pens. This one is a Cigar Pen made from Cherry and Black Walnut. Hope you like.

2006870454_CheckerPenupload.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DFM

Nice tight joints. What saw did you use?

The lower barrel is a little distracting with the thin stripe remaining. The spacing on the upper barrel looks very nice.

Fleabit

DFM: Used a table saw for the initail block cuts and than used a bandsaw for the smaller cuts. I knew I should have trimmed the barrle a little more. I agree, the thin strip bugs me too.

chitswood

I really like this one, and I'm suprised how few people do this small of segments on a pen.
If I could change your pen at all I would use brighter, or more contrasting colors since you went through so much trouble, however the skill is obvious and you made it look good!

Instead of 4 square segments, what if the pen could have more segments, like some of the bowls I've seen, and with veneers in between??

RonMc has his checkerboard blanks, There is always something new to design, we just need the imagination...

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by chitswood
<br />I really like this one, and I'm suprised how few people do this small of segments on a pen.
If I could change your pen at all I would use brighter, or more contrasting colors since you went through so much trouble, however the skill is obvious and you made it look good!

Instead of 4 square segments, what if the pen could have more segments, like some of the bowls I've seen, and with veneers in between??

RonMc has his checkerboard blanks, There is always something new to design, we just need the imagination...

I have a few of these that you have described being glued up now. It should be a few more weeks, and I will have pictures of segmented pens, much like the bowls. Hopefully they will turn out nice.

Ron Mc

Rick,
It looks to me like your pen came out great! Very tight lines and good glue joints.
I look forward to seeing what's next.

DFM

Originally posted by Fleabit
<br />DFM: Used a table saw for the initail block cuts and than used a bandsaw for the smaller cuts. I knew I should have trimmed the barrle a little more. I agree, the thin strip bugs me too.

I use a table saw for all my cuts. Look at a vacuum rip fence for a table saw sled, it will allow you to make the super small cuts on your table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom