Finally...taking time to post..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Finally, I am taking time to post this pen. I finished this one in time for MAPG 2014 .
It started as a gold Atrax Rollerball. It sort of got modified along the way. The green blank material is Jonathon's Combustion blank paired with black acrylic and some brass rod and flat brass stock.
As I said, it started as a roller ball. It is drilled and sized for the rollerball refill and spring but last minute, I realized I could swap it out to a fountain pen.
I added the 1/16" brass rod to both ends as well as 4 rod dots on both cap and barrel. As you can see, I ditched the stock finial for the black acrylic. The entire pen is finished with CA as I didn't want the brass to tarnish nor feel the intersection of the brass/acrylic.
Comments welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgsean

Very nice pen, and congrats. Out of curiosity is the golden that I see in the middle of the cap the brass tube showing, or colours of the resin? It suites well, but just wondering?

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Charlie, Nice to see the pen again and to know how it was done. Folks I can tell you that this pen is so much more stunning in person.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Thanks for all the kind words!
This pen really does look great when you get it in the light and see the beauty of Jonathon's expertise!
Sean, I believe you are seeing the 1/16" brass rod which I inserted (w/epoxy) in the cap and barrel. They were drilled by hand after the tube was in the blank. This makes these pieces very short and easy to drop/loose in the shop!
Here is another pic which is a little closer so you can see the detail.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 104

Crashmph

I got to see this pen first hand a few days ago... very nice. The subtle accent dots are really slick and well executed.

Nice job Charlie!

OKLAHOMAN

As one of the three judges at the MAPG folks I can attest that my vote was not wasted, this pen deserved all the praise that it received.

Charlie_W

Very nice pen, and congrats. Out of curiosity is the golden that I see in the middle of the cap the brass tube showing, or colours of the resin? It suites well, but just wondering?

Sean, I may have misunderstood your question earlier. After looking at the pic more closely, I can see reflections of the pen laying on the cap. This may be what you are seeing.
The colors of the resin are just fantastic as well. I did paint the tube and inside the blank....just can't remember what color now. :confused:

Top Bottom