Finally...Smiling from ear to ear....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PTownSubbie

PTownSubbie

Well, those that are good friends with me know that I have been working for some time on creating the elusive "Kitless Pen". I finally succeeded and am happy that I have a new "Carry Pen" for me to test for a while.

I have to throw out thanks to some specific people for their inspiration and assistance on this. I can't Thank everyone in person but this is for those that have gone above and beyond.

Jeff, without this site where would my penturning be! Thanks!
George (Texdurango), your tutorials and videos were great!
Justin (Timebandit), your pieces of art are inspirational and thanks for answering my questions!
Bruce (BRobbins629), without seeing your presentation at the Richmond Penturners I am not sure if I would have figured this out!
Jonathon (Brooks803), Thanks for the one on one casting training and keeping me inspired that some day I may catch up to you!
Jason (jasontg99), Thanks for continuing to push and feed my addiction and riding with me to the Richmond meeting (even though you let us get lost.....:tongue:)

This is a kitless fountain pen using the M12x0.8 triple start tap/die set. The nib is a Fine Heritance nib with a Bock feed and assembly. The front section threads are cut with a standard M9x0.75 tap/die set.

The colors are Navy Blue and Gray. Tried to get close to the local college colors and is my own cast out of Alumilite. All sections came from one extra long piece of casting from a custom mold.

Thanks for looking! Please comment both good or bad! That is the only way we can get better..... If anyone has photo help, I am all ears....
Blue-Gray Kitless 1.jpg

Blue-Gray Kitless 2.jpg

Blue-Gray Kitless 3.jpg

Blue-Gray Closeup.jpg

Now to figure out how to do a clip......:eek:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

just fantastic really, really well done. and this is your first? what a great way of starting a new advanced skill with such a quality pen. im sure this one will be a proud piece in your collection

MarkD

Awesome! I really like the shape of it! The blank is great too!
Congrats on your first kitless!

soligen

Nice job Fred!

It looks like the pen has a sort of "soft gloss". If that was intended, then you can disregard this. When I went kitless with alumilite, I had a very hard time getting a good gloss - PR or CA is much easier to polish. Then I tried Hut Ultra gloss as the last step - it was a world of difference.

These comments are meant to be helpful, not critical.

PTownSubbie

Nice job Fred!

It looks like the pen has a sort of "soft gloss". If that was intended, then you can disregard this. When I went kitless with alumilite, I had a very hard time getting a good gloss - PR or CA is much easier to polish. Then I tried Hut Ultra gloss as the last step - it was a world of difference.

These comments are meant to be helpful, not critical.

Now that I look at it, you are right Dennis! No offense taken either!! I was blinded by completion....

It's comments like this that make me a better Pen Maker! Thanks!

Bill Sampson

Fred,
Your pen looks great! We were pleased you came to the Richmond meeting to see Bruces' presentation. A few members are now interested in "kitless."
Bill Sampson

LarryDNJR

Fred that looks really good nice job. I really like the swirling in the body. Keep it up!

Did you notice the finger print on the cap in the last picture on the left? :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nicely Done

Well, those that are good friends with me know that I have been working for some time on creating the elusive "Kitless Pen". I finally succeeded and am happy that I have a new "Carry Pen" for me to test for a while.

I have to throw out thanks to some specific people for their inspiration and assistance on this. I can't Thank everyone in person but this is for those that have gone above and beyond.

Jeff, without this site where would my penturning be! Thanks!
George (Texdurango), your tutorials and videos were great!
Justin (Timebandit), your pieces of art are inspirational and thanks for answering my questions!
Bruce (BRobbins629), without seeing your presentation at the Richmond Penturners I am not sure if I would have figured this out!
Jonathon (Brooks803), Thanks for the one on one casting training and keeping me inspired that some day I may catch up to you!
Jason (jasontg99), Thanks for continuing to push and feed my addiction and riding with me to the Richmond meeting (even though you let us get lost.....:tongue:)

This is a kitless fountain pen using the M12x0.8 triple start tap/die set. The nib is a Fine Heritance nib with a Bock feed and assembly. The front section threads are cut with a standard M9x0.75 tap/die set.

The colors are Navy Blue and Gray. Tried to get close to the local college colors and is my own cast out of Alumilite. All sections came from one extra long piece of casting from a custom mold.

Thanks for looking! Please comment both good or bad! That is the only way we can get better..... If anyone has photo help, I am all ears....
View attachment 65884

View attachment 65885

View attachment 65886

View attachment 65887

Now to figure out how to do a clip......:eek:
Well done Fred

jasontg99

Fred,

Holy cr@p, that is awesome!!! I was hoping to get over there soon to see this project completed. Looks like you have been busy. Can't wait to see it in person!

Jason

wiset1

Really fantastic looking pen. I can't wait to start mine...one day. Truly amazing work, congrats on finishing her up.

Stevej72

Congratulations on your first kitless pen, Fred. I think you did an excellent job. Still haven't completed a kitless yet, but hope to before too long.

Brooks803

Congrats Fred! It is a beautiful pen. I don't blame you one bit for swapping to alumilite. PR will thread but it's a pain! The blank is top notch as well! Can't wait to see the next one.

PTownSubbie

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! Any other recommendations?

Congrats Fred! It is a beautiful pen. I don't blame you one bit for swapping to alumilite. PR will thread but it's a pain! The blank is top notch as well! Can't wait to see the next one.

PR can be threaded but not in the cool weather that we are seeing here now. I keep it outside and I have found that I can thread it no problem if I heat it up in the toaster @125F for ~30mins. Otherwise it cracks like mad! Just too much trouble having to heat it up all the time. Maybe in the summer I will give PR another go just to say that I did......

The next one will be a little smaller. This is a bit bigger than a Jr Gent II lengthwise. It is a good start!

PTownSubbie

Fred that looks really good nice job. I really like the swirling in the body. Keep it up!

Did you notice the finger print on the cap in the last picture on the left? :)

I do now....:eek: I was wondering what that was. The picture looked blurry but you are right.....Poor photography techniques....

It will get better!

Top Bottom