finally putting up a few

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buteo2808

Buteo2808

First is a Mesa 24kt and Gun Metal with a duck feather blank from John Underhill.

IMG_1049.jpg

Been trying to get the hang of cork.... Chrome Gatsby. Big thanks to Jgrden for pointing me in the right direction. Almost there on this one, but still not entirely satisfied with the end results. I was rushing and forgot to paint tube, cork is a slightly crooked, and I picked up some trash on the ends of the cork.

IMG_1045.jpg

Thanks for looking!

jaeger

I have not tried cork although I have used other porous materials. I would suggest trying to get a CA Finish on the cork before the final finishing steps that you take.
IE: One possibility, glue the cork to the tube. Put the segmented pieces on the tube without glue and carefully turn to approximate size. Remove segmented pieces and apply some CA / BLO to the cork.
Next glue on the segmented pieces and finish the blank. The cork should have absorbed enough CA to prevent taking on the dark color from the segmented pieces.
There are other ways to do this IE: Sand from the cork to the dark ends and apply the CA with fresh sand paper the same way.
Filling the cork with CA will help, however you do this.

jaeger

Another thing you can do with your segmenting, is to turn a scrap blank of light color (oak). Have the blank just slightly longer than the tube. Do not glue to the tube but turn to whatever size you like and then you can cut off sections to use as wooden bushings.
Just remember to square up the segmented pieces and to test fit all the pieces before gluing your final pieces to the tube for your final turning and finishing.

Top Bottom