Finally, A pen Just for ME

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolftat

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I haven't made a pen just for me in a long time so I decided to take a few minutes and do one. This is a copy of the pen that I sent to my ex-CO in Iraq. It is a platinum Statesman with a stabilized Herringbone 360 in red, clear, and blue. This one was a little nerve racking to drill out, but it was worth it. I put 12 coats of thin CA on it and then micromeshed it to 12000 followed by a slow buffing and the a touch of Renwax. This one is going in my pocket and I think I am going to keep it just for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Nice work.... for a JARHEAD!

Beautiful pen! that H-bone is so cool looking.

USAFVET98

Nice Job Neil! Looks great. I have a Jr. Statesman on it's way for mine, but now you have me worried about drilling it. Why do you say it was nerve racking?

rjwolfe3

Man that is sweet. I can't wait till I figure out how to do that. I was going to smart off and ask for a tutorial but I still have to put that bullseye on Cav first.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Nice Job Neil! Looks great. I have a Jr. Statesman on it's way for mine, but now you have me worried about drilling it. Why do you say it was nerve racking?
The Jr. Statesman is a lot smaller than a Statesman, you should have no problem with your blank drilling it for a Jr. The attached picture shows the clear difference between a Statesman and a Jr compared to a raw blank. I say, just go for it, if it blows up you know where to send it to get it fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
............... so I decided to take a few minutes and do one. .....................

Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!:mad: Few minutes my a.......:biggrin:
I reckon it took more than a few hours just to pluck up the guts to drill it!!!!
:biggrin: Well done

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!:mad: Few minutes my a.......:biggrin:
I reckon it took more than a few hours just to pluck up the guts to drill it!!!!
:biggrin: Well done
A few minutes at a time for a month or so...LOL The drilling wasn't that bad, if it blows up, I blame the dog and make another one. I have learned that if I have everything cut and sanded, I can do the assembly at work, my coworkers are probably wondering why i am the only oen that has CA all over their fingers all the time.:biggrin:

JerrySambrook

Some of them might question if that is ca on your hands.... oops should not have said what I was thinking.

Neil,
Great job. Looks nice. If you want to make another one with an even deeper red, I have some seriously dark bloodwood.

p.s. I had a few people by the desk on Thursday wonder about the odors eminating from it. I had a couple of vases still gassing off after a few coats of waterlox over the previous week, and had the CNEW meeting to attend on Thursday evening.

Lastly, how is the metalworking going?

Jerry

gad5264

Very eye appealing pen. I bet when you whip that out to write a check or sign your name on something, a few people are going to want one.

bitshird

Neil, is that the best you can do? at least CA on your fingers doesn't look half as bad as Gorilla glue does, Oh by the way, well spent few minutes!!!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil, is that the best you can do? at least CA on your fingers doesn't look half as bad as Gorilla glue does, Oh by the way, well spent few minutes!!!!
No, this one wasn't my best work, but it is okay. The next couple should be better, they seem to be better when I'm making them for someone else instead of for myself. I don't think Gorilla Glue would work well for this blank anyway. The Sierra size blank used for sizing comparison should be one of the better ones, it's made of BOW with figured Mesquite and has some great fleck to it.

bitshird

No, this one wasn't my best work, but it is okay. The next couple should be better, they seem to be better when I'm making them for someone else instead of for myself. I don't think Gorilla Glue would work well for this blank anyway. The Sierra size blank used for sizing comparison should be one of the better ones, it's made of BOW with figured Mesquite and has some great fleck to it.

Neil, I was joking, I think it is totally gorgeous, !!!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I know you were, but I wasn't. The blanks are okay, but there is always room for improvement and I try to keep improving them as I go. That little BOW blank just happened to turn out nicely, in another week or so if it is still here, it will wind up on a Titanium and Gold Sierra or something equal to it.
I am without a doubt, my own worst critic.

Top Bottom