Finally painted my first tubes. AND reverse painted the blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

300141_209377505788989_100001502242963_552398_6274555_n.jpg

311441_209377555788984_100001502242963_552399_8037809_n.jpg

So, this is a Brooks803 blank that I'd been sitting on for a long time. I was really leery of trying to paint tubes or blanks. Finally broke down and gave it a shot. I used acrylic paint, tomato red, and it was a tense evening to say the least. Hope I did the blank justice. I'm VERY happy with it, and I'm sure I could have done better, but for a first try, I'm not mad at all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

This is a job well done! I love the mixture of colors and it really brings the kit to life here. I think the best advise I can give about reverse painting and tube coloring is to simply take your time and let them dry overnight. Awesome work partner!

wiset1

Acrylic will dry fast, but being water based the CA has a way of mushing it. That's why I leave it overnight to be safe. The pen looks awesome!

wizard

Allan, I think the pen looks really awesome! I like the profile of the pen and even more sans the centerband. Thanks for sharing. Doc

Bobalu

Well, now you have another notch on your roughing gouge Allen. Good job. Was there any red in the blank at all, or is the red all from the painted tubes?

Drstrangefart

Well, now you have another notch on your roughing gouge Allen. Good job. Was there any red in the blank at all, or is the red all from the painted tubes?

The blank was crystal clear with the blue swirl in it. Figured the high contrast would help. I set out after flourescent orange, then silver, and red finally worked.

Bobalu

The blank was crystal clear with the blue swirl in it. Figured the high contrast would help. I set out after flourescent orange, then silver, and red finally worked.

I think the high contrast worked well. I have three or four of Jonathon's blanks that are nearly transparent and I'm half afraid of ruining them with the wrong color of reverse painting. Seeing the outcome on yours, maybe I'll start thinking contrasting colors versus coordinating colors.

Drstrangefart

I think the high contrast worked well. I have three or four of Jonathon's blanks that are nearly transparent and I'm half afraid of ruining them with the wrong color of reverse painting. Seeing the outcome on yours, maybe I'll start thinking contrasting colors versus coordinating colors.

If the red didn't work out, white was my safety. I felt like white would have been complimentary, but also "I've seen THAT before" obvious.

Top Bottom