FINALLY!!! A one-piece Slimline!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

308050_210621928997880_100001502242963_556729_1219070_n.jpg

312066_210620902331316_100001502242963_556728_2658368_n.jpg

Made this out of Leyland Cypress. It was the closest wood on hand that I was sure was gonna be stable enough to handle the hole being drilled without pushing the bit out the side. It was interesting doing this on a drill press with a 2 inch drop. Got it done, feeling pretty good about it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

...It was interesting doing this on a drill press with a 2 inch drop. Got it done, feeling pretty good about it.
I know the feeling.

I've done three of those, and all with a drill press with a 2" spindle throw and not much clearance between the table and chuck.

Had to use two different bits to do it, and had to switch each of them out twice for a total of four different drill passes/positions. And, of course, that was when I was still turning my pens on the same drill press, so I then had to set up the drill press to turn the pens.

Nice job and congrats on the first. I like the longwoods.

Drstrangefart

Wow! Thanks! It does twist at the nib. Dad hooked me up with a drill bit that was long enough to handle all of it at once. The finish isn't quite what I'd like it to be. I was rushed and the gouge did a bit more damage than usual. I'm happy with it, and as the lack of support around the nib causes concerns, I don't plan on selling it or giving it away.

its_virgil

Use about 3/4 inch of the tube from the bracelet helper or perfume pen on the nib end for support. The slimline tube will just fit inside.

Use just enough of the upper tube to catch the transmission and twist. It will be easier to get apart and to twist.

I have pictures if you want to see them.

One piece slims are fun to make and the shape possibilities are endless.
You did a nice job on this one. Show us more.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Wow! Thanks! It does twist at the nib. Dad hooked me up with a drill bit that was long enough to handle all of it at once. The finish isn't quite what I'd like it to be. I was rushed and the gouge did a bit more damage than usual. I'm happy with it, and as the lack of support around the nib causes concerns, I don't plan on selling it or giving it away.

Drstrangefart

Use about 3/4 inch of the tube from the bracelet helper or perfume pen on the nib end for support. The slimline tube will just fit inside.

Use just enough of the upper tube to catch the transmission and twist. It will be easier to get apart and to twist.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I do have the transmission supported by the upper tube. The lower tube isn't glued in, and it's just the wood and CA down there. I'm afrait it won't take much to split it.

navycop

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I would like to see pictures if you can post on here or send me a PM. Thanks.

Top Bottom