finally one for me... sort of

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paintspill

paintspill

made this one last night and i guess the end was a little off square and when i assembled it a bit of finish popped off forming a bubble. i knew i should have gone in when i was tired, but all is not lost. i wanted one for myself anyways. never used a fountain pen before this and i'm hooked.

its a gold baron in walnut.

Attachments

• 100_0689 (640x480).jpg
    100_0689 (640x480).jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Been there done that... many times. Try wicking some very thin CA glue up into the "bubble". Do it before assembly. Just let the very edge come into the slightest contact with the meniscus of a drop of CA on some release paper. Physics will do the rest. The CA will rise and find its way into the void through capillary action. Usually it helps a lot. It's a lot better than redoing the CA!!

Nice looking pen and a good keeper.
:wink::wink::wink:

Fibonacci

I have had good success doing that by putting a small puddle of thin CA on a piece of plastic and touching the tip of a razor blade to it.

The surface tension will make a small amount wick up the blade. Touch the tip of the blade to the edge of the bubble and it will wick into the bubble. Just go back and forth until it is full.

The blade makes a nice precision applicator.

paintspill

Been there done that... many times. Try wicking some very thin CA glue up into the "bubble". Do it before assembly. Just let the very edge come into the slightest contact with the meniscus of a drop of CA on some release paper. Physics will do the rest. The CA will rise and find its way into the void through capillary action. Usually it helps a lot. It's a lot better than redoing the CA!!

i like the tip but unfortunately it popped when i pressed the center ring on. no turning back now. but on a better, better note. the customer that bought 2 pens and recieved them today called me and placed another order.

Bree

i like the tip but unfortunately it popped when i pressed the center ring on. no turning back now. but on a better, better note. the customer that bought 2 pens and recieved them today called me and placed another order.

That sucks. One thing I always do with CA finished blanks is to take a marking knife... small but very sharp... and ever so slowly and always to the inside, trim any CA that extends beyond the end of the blank/tube. Even the slightest bump of CA can cause the pop you experienced. I use an arbor press which can generate a LOT of force so it is imperative to make sure the blank is cleaned of excess CA.

Good that you got the repeat order! You are doing something right!!
:):):)

Top Bottom