Finally!! My first two good pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulSF

PaulSF

So after many attempts, I have finally completed the first two pens that I think are good enough to sell. The fit is good, the finish is good, and although I could get nitpicky with my eyes 2 inches from the surface, these are hand-made, not factory-made.

Attachments

• acrylic pens, closed.jpg
    acrylic pens, closed.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Nice pens! Allthough i dont care alot for the fit and finish of the metal components for this kit, I have made my fair share of em! It is however, a REALLY REALLY fun kit to modify! You can use a drill bit and drill out the cap material super carefully, and "tuck" the part of the CB where the accent rings normally goes. It makes the CB smaller, and sleeker looking. There shuold be a red black and white closed end pen in my gallery with said mod. It is also a really fun pen to make closed end (Hence the closed end, modded CB pen in the photo). I will go find the pic, and thumb it to this thread for you! fun kit to play with for sure.. Probably my one of my favorites despite the bad finish on the metal.

RAdams

Banned
something like this

Attachments

• 1_my_pen_closed_cropped.jpg
    1_my_pen_closed_cropped.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 1_my_pen_open_cropped.jpg
    1_my_pen_open_cropped.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 102

PaulSF

Thank you, everybody! RAdams, that's a beautiful pen. I want to learn how to do closed end pens, but I'm still struggling with the easy stuff!

Parting off for the center band wasn't that difficult for these, because the width of the parted-off area is just about exactly the width of the parting tool blade. The hard part is keeping it clean, I guess.

My biggest problem has been mastering the use of the skew. I still haven't quite figured out how to hold and use the skew.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
My biggest problem has been mastering the use of the skew. I still haven't quite figured out how to hold and use the skew.

Don't beat yourself up over that one. There's more than a few people here
who feel like you do, and don't use one.
Not to say we shouldn't learn...

PaulSF

Part of my skew problem is sharpening, I think. When I sharpen it on the bench grinder, the edge becomes concave, rather than straight.

And again, thank you all for the nice words. You are being more than generous!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Part of my skew problem is sharpening, I think. When I sharpen it on the bench grinder, the edge becomes concave, rather than straight.

That is called a 'hollow grind' .. it takes on the shape of the grinding
wheel. The smaller the wheel, the more hollow the grind.
FWIW.. I sharpen mine by touching it to the belt sander.

Top Bottom