Finally ! MY first Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A Sterling Silver Baron , incased in a VERY HARD , Honduras Rosewood Burl , from Rod Rice ( Wolfdancer ) . The wood has tiny bubbles (not really air bubbles ) in the grain . I really liked the wood . I tried CA/BLO on this one , but decided to go back down to the wood and MM to 12000 , then three coats of Ren Wax . Please tell me what you think ! Don't hold back ! I can take it !! :D[:eek:)]

200862111646_IMG_0124.jpg

200862111738_IMG_0123.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Beautiful pen but the mirror takes away from the photo. It's hard to focus on the original pen when you have the reflection staring back at you.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks , guys ! This burl was a test for me . Almost whipped my butt ! Sorry for straining your eyes Lance ! Just wanted to try out the mirror effect . Thanks for the comments !

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I agree with Lance WRT the mirror.

Also, I am not one who cares for a wax only "finish" I am afraid the so called patina that develops will not enhance this beautiful wood.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you William ! Man , I have alot to learn about wood and patina . I was thinking , three coats of Renwax , would keep a finish . [V][V]

Great looking pens!! In the bottom picture, how much do you want for the bottom pen. The top pen looks good, but the bottom looks better to me [:eek:)]

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by ScribbleSticks

Great looking pens!! In the bottom picture, how much do you want for the bottom pen. The top pen looks good, but the bottom looks better to me [:eek:)]
He He , That's funny right there !!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What are the chances of that ? I like yours . I have to agree with Lance & Cav . I probably , should have stayed with the CA/BLO , but it seems I read a post in the finish forum , that , the CA can chip off easily . And that , affected my decision . BUT , I have another chance !! I still have another blank ! Thanks for your comments ! :D

BigShed

Seriously good looking pen Charles, beautiful kit and stunning blank, such grain!

Agree with comments re wax finish, I did some of my earlier pens with friction polish/wax finish and it didn't last very well.

Great job on that pen, don't mind the mirror, I agree it distracts a bit, but hey it's nice to get 2 for the price of 1!:D

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful work! As far as the mirror shots go, I agree with the confusion point expecially on the first photo. But, personally, I like the second one. While there may be a bit of confusion at first, it gives one a better look at the wood's beautiful figure!

And as Fred says, the wax polish finish doesn't last long.

Your work here is simply beautiful!

OKLAHOMAN

Chuck I don't normally post in the SOYP forum when I have a pen in it but this one deserves it. That is an amazing piece of wood and you did an excellent job of turning, both deserve a good finish, so that being said take it apart sand it and try the CA finish again or even a Delf lacquer spray finish.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you ALL very much , for your advice and compliments . My new plan for the day , will be a refinish on this pen . And a new photo , without the MIRROR !! [:eek:)]

RogerGarrett

You chose a great wood for a great pen kit. Nice work. Don't sell your first FP - keep it and use it. You will find people will want to purchase it from you - and you will be able to tell them where to get one just like it!

Best,
Roger Garrett

karlkuehn

Banned
Jeez, Chuck! I thought we went over the whole mirror thing! Don't abuse the mirror, man! Great looking pen, the photo sorta sucks, but you heard that enough. Stop by the clubhouse and we'll go over it. ;):D

What're you new!? Sheesh...

Nice work on the fountain pen man...you know it gets worse from here, right? Pretty soon you'll actually put some ink in one of them, and then you're really in trouble. Have you met Lou? He's like a fountain nerd drug dealer pimp guy. hehe...lemme know and I'll introduce you...

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think I left my notes on the bar , at the clubhouse ! Looks like I really needed them ! Don't it ?? [:eek:)] I would love to meet Lou , one day !! :D This may be a new direction for me . [:eek:)] Thanks Karl !
Originally posted by karlkuehn

Jeez, Chuck! I thought we went over the whole mirror thing! Don't abuse the mirror, man! Great looking pen, the photo sorta sucks, but you heard that enough. Stop by the clubhouse and we'll go over it. ;):D

What're you new!? Sheesh...

Nice work on the fountain pen man...you know it gets worse from here, right? Pretty soon you'll actually put some ink in one of them, and then you're really in trouble. Have you met Lou? He's like a fountain nerd drug dealer pimp guy. hehe...lemme know and I'll introduce you...

Top Bottom