Finally! I got one to show off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hillbilly

Hillbilly

This was my first attempt at CA/BLO. I didn't have any luck with just using the CA. So I tried the BLO with it. I watched Russ's video and took some notes. I'm glad to finally get a good one. This made my 4th turn, so thats 1 out of 4. I know this is a cheap pen and not real elaborate but I'd hate to mess up an expensive kit. Anyway I'm happy now :)

Thanks,Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1804_600x450.JPG
    IMG_1804_600x450.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1805_600x450.JPG
    IMG_1805_600x450.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Maker

Would ya look at that, you did gooder'n with the Shop Fox than most can do with a JET ! especially like the embelishments ye done thar. What's Next ?

tim self

Sometimes the CA flows, sometimes it BLO's. Keep it up, it will come natural to you.....But like Roy said, I'm probably on close to 200 and tonight toe BOW won!

lwalden

Nice looking pen, with one exception. It's your fourth. You shouldn't be making pens with decorative beads and working on CA finishes until you've got a lot more "Oops" and "Dangits" under your belt. Not fair to the rest of us. Adding in that it's just your fourth pen bumps that up from being a "nice" looking pen, to "Wow, that is some D@m# nice work on that pen". Looks like you're off to a great start!!

JimB

Very nice Brian. My 4th pen didn't look anything like that. I really struggled with my CA finish so rather than wasting a lot of kits and gluing tubes I just took scrap wood and turned it down between centers to pen size and practiced. I would get the finish done, examine it, then sand it off and do it again or just turn down another piece of scrap. One thing though, you do want it to be about the size of a finished pen becuase that will determine the amount of CA or BLO you use.

jedgerton

You're doing great. I struggled with CA for so long that until recently, I gave up. I got interetsed in acrylics largely because of my CA problems. Keep up the good work!

John

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very well done Brian:biggrin: I've made a few less than 200 pens and gave up on the CA finish when I ruined so many cool wood blanks.
I have an awesome collection of wood blanks that are screaming to be made into pens. One day.............

chriselle

I agree with the rest of the group...4th pen and CA already?! Great job.

It's an unfair comparison between my fourth pen though....I don't think CA was even mainstream back then. The IAP is indeed a fabulous resource.

Tn-Steve

Nice work. (Hey gang, I knew we were in trouble when he did that one with a screwdriver and it didn't look that bad.) I like the turnings on the ends, it's a nice touch, and not overboard.

Have a great one,

Steve

Hillbilly

Thanks everbody, and I will give most of the credit to the forum. I printed off instruction and watched a video on the CA/BLO. I did practice CA with the first pen and ended up sanding it off. Using the CA alone was too hard, I couldnt get it smooth. Russ's video showed using the oil on the wet CA and it was alot easier to smooth the CA out.

Thanks, Brian

AceMrFixIt

Good job Brian. I want to try the BLO/CA finish but the local orange boxes only have it in a gallon..... What pray tell am I gonna do with a gallon..........

Hillbilly

Nice work. (Hey gang, I knew we were in trouble when he did that one with a screwdriver and it didn't look that bad.) I like the turnings on the ends, it's a nice touch, and not overboard.

Have a great one,

Steve

My chisel set came in that day. I told myself if they hadnt I was prepared to grind down a screwdriver meaning it as a joke to myself. I had no idea you all actually used them. Ya'll sound like rednecks.

Thanks, Brian

Top Bottom