Finally hid in my shop for the weekend!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Varinokid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varinokid

It's been crazy in the past couple months but I've finally managed to sneak in a day's worth of wood shop this weekend!

I've created 2 pens. I'm feeling much more confident in pen turning. It's a great therapy!

l_85a941f3d5579577cc93946e583f5db3.jpg

Black/Red (nightfire I believe) Dymondwood used with some kind of ebony. The picture shows the ebony lighter than it really is when holding pen in hand. It looks more darker. Standard slimline silver fancy pen kit used. Sanded to 1500 micromesh and then applied CA, then micromesh all the way up to 12000

l_904ace846d58141bf311f87c87efe5d3.jpg

Just standard Cedar wood used. I opted not to use CA on this as I wanted to see how it turned out. Micromesh'ed all the way up to 12000 and then put on friction polish. This pen will more than likely be my daily pen to see what happens to the finish. Standard slimline silver fancy pen kit used.

Turning cedar was actually rather pleasing. Very soft wood, easy to turn, and it gives great smell in my shop too!

Has anyone ever kept "shavings" from turning pens/bowls/etc and use it for some other ideas? Cedar obviously would be great for scent in a decorative glass container. For the life of me, I have kept all the shavings from all types of wood in separate & marked containers. If I'm wasting my time, please let me know.

And I'm still working on getting a decent and eye pleasing pictures. Not quite used to my camera yet.

Thanks for looking & feedbacks.

bitshird

you can put cedar sawdust and shavings in a small bag made from cheese cloth, or thin cotton cloth sewen up and they are sold as a cachet they work too my wife has made a lot of them

thewishman

I use shavings to fill in voids in burls and breaks/cracks in other woods. I save mine in ziplock bags and try to have several different colors available (buckeye burl has so mnay color variations that I keep 3-4 different colors just in that wood.)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom