Finally happy with the size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

I've been wanting to make a little larger pen, both housing a larger section and a little extra girth and length. After some tinkering and adjusting here and there I finally think I have what I want. Bock #5 and Bock #6 nibs shown.

The purple pen is shown just for a reference to the size differences and is the basic size I have been making.

Any constructive comments or critiques welcome.

Attachments

• large1.jpg
    large1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 307
  • large2.jpg
    large2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 295
  • large3.jpg
    large3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

Wow, George! Just WOW!

Let me list all the things I like:
  • The clip--you must have made it.
  • The section--pinched in the middle--sooo nice!
  • The metal rings--you guys with metal lathes have an unfair advantage!
  • And the material--especially the green. Is it PR?

Please keep posting your work!

wood-of-1kind

Wonderful work George. I especially like the 'trim' rings that you include. It completes the look and makes your pen that much more distinguished. Very well done!!!!!!!!!!!

chriselle

Wow, George! Just WOW!

Agreed with all Robert said...ESPECIALLY with the point on the guys with metal lathes. :cool::biggrin: ....one day...sigh..

IPD_Mr

George you scared me for a moment. I thought this was going to be a pitch for Extenze. :eek:

The pens look great as does the proportions. Well done.

Texatdurango

Wow, George! Just WOW!

First, the clip wasn't made by me but I love it! The section, I agree, this is hands down my favorite shape. The ring on the bottom is .025" sterling silver and the ring in the cap is the ring on the clip. The bands and rings in the purple pen are also sterling silver. The blanks are alumilite blended by me, I like the subtle "grain" which I think goes well with my pens.

As for the metal lathe, well you might be interested to know that this green pen was made 100% on my Jet mini wood lathe! :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like you achieved your goal. I'm guessing the cap threads are 14mm. Very nice color in this blank. I like that clip. Seems to missing a couple of bands :biggrin: Kidding of course. Just the right touch on this one. I like what you've done with it.

Texatdurango

Looks like you achieved your goal. I'm guessing the cap threads are 14mm. Very nice color in this blank. I like that clip. Seems to missing a couple of bands :biggrin: Kidding of course. Just the right touch on this one. I like what you've done with it.
Now that I am happy with the general dimensions, I will be making the double banded version as well as the non-banded version like this one. I don't want to waste silver on pens unless I'm happy with the shape.

Yes, the large pen uses the 14mm triple-start threads.

Jgrden

'Shoot a Mile' what great work to play with the dimensions and get away with it. I will be a student of yours.

EricJS

George, I glance through this section quite often but rarely comment on what I see. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the design & size of these pens is very pleasing to the eye. But most of all the material you cast is out of this world. Whatever you did to create the blanks - you need to continue because those are some of the classiest & most striking blanks I've seen.:biggrin:

Texatdurango

George, I glance through this section quite often but rarely comment on what I see. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the design & size of these pens is very pleasing to the eye. But most of all the material you cast is out of this world. Whatever you did to create the blanks - you need to continue because those are some of the classiest & most striking blanks I've seen.:biggrin:
Wow, thanks for the compliment!

I got interested in old pens a few years ago and decided that if I was going to be making fountain pens, especially with the vintage filling mechanisms, that I wanted to make my own blanks that had a vintage, subtle, reserved look to them rather than the "bubble gum/watermelon explosion" type of look that everyone else has. The last pen show I did, there were four other pen makers there and all of them basically had the same blanks on their pens.

Culprit

I haven't hung around here long enough yet to know how they pick the featured pen/photo, but I'd vote for this one. Nicely done!

Texatdurango

I haven't hung around here long enough yet to know how they pick the featured pen/photo, but I'd vote for this one. Nicely done!
The featured photo isn't voted on, it's just selected, I think by Jeff himself. Back in the day I had a few pens that made the cover but the pens I make these days don't have the bling or WOW factor, I aim for the reserved look instead.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Top Bottom